AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through several post about using a remote for a HTPC, but the options I've seen seem to cost >$200. I have the H+ remote that I'm not using (switched to SW decoding). Are there any programs available that will let me re-program what the remote does?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The de facto IR control and automation SW is Girder and it does have Hollywood plus remote compatibility but may require a HW plug in...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dalvis,

You may wish to investigate into the RadioShack Remotes (I'm not kidding!). I currently use the 15-1994 to control my HTPC. The remote cost me $30. I believe this model is now no longer made (replaced my the 15-2104 I believe) but, you may still be able to find it at some RadioShack stores. There is a yahoo forum about programming this remote (and its related cousins) to control any device. The address is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1. To exploit all of the capabilities requires either assembling or purchasing a JP1 interface (cost me $18) and using the free software available for download at the JP1 forum to create new device codes. Even without the interface and software, however, the remote has learning capability to learn about 24 commands from any remote (including my IR keyboard). I find using this keyboard and remote combination a lot easier than using girder and all of the related software.

Vitaly.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I use the Home Theater SL-9000 with an IRMan and PCRemote software. The SL-9000 ($109.95) is a learning remote, the SL-7000 (also known as the Home Theater 8 in 1 - $69.95) is the same without learning.

The SL-9000 is very nice, and relatively inexpensive. It supports macros and can control up to 8 devices, including X-10 devices. It supports up to 25 macros. The IRman plugs into your HTPC's serial port, and the PCRemote software can learn any IR signal and map it to any keyboard command or macro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.