AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I want to do if possible.......

Home Theater setup in the living room.

Every room in the house is powered by the receiver in the living room. Looking at the Denon 3806, great HT Receiver, but I don't know if this is a good whole Home Audio receiver).

Someone in room A can listen to a different source than someone in room B.

Want digital music files to be listenable via the system, where each room can be listening to different files.

How can you control all of this? Does each room have it's own remote (this is the functionality I'm looking for, but don't necessarily need the remotes). How does each room pick which FM station or MP3 file they want to listen to?

The number of forums and posts are overwhelming, and I don't know where to get started.

Thanks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Need more info! How many rooms? Digital music files, thats pretty generic. Do you mean PC MP3, Wav etc, what format.

Some 7.1 recievers allow you to use the rear center surround channels for a second zone. But must forgo the rear channels in the HT, i.e. use a 5.1.

So say someone is listening to a CD in the family room. Yes Johny can listen to Snoop Dog in his room off the same reciever (provided it has a zone two option)

To lissten to different music files of the same PC is pretty tricky. May require two sound cards and a media player that can support two sound cards/users. Then the remote thing adds to the difficulty. Maybe a Pronto will work.

Do some research on the forums. Search is your friend.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The Denon is a great HT reciever. Don't use it to drive more than 1 or two rooms with a speaker selector and volume controls.

fasteddie is correct, with the 3806, I'm very confident that the Rear surround zones the 7.1 can be converted to a Zone 2.

You need another box. What kind of budget can you squeeze out?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Based on your description (sort of vague) it sounds like you're wanting to have more then 1 room of music (in addition to the main room that you are planning for surround sound).

That being said, if you want to be able to listen to multiple sources or songs from a media player at the same time in multiple rooms you'll need a real whole house music system as well as a music server which is capable of either multiple music streams (like it might have 4 analog outputs/zones) or is can be networked so it uses "clients" to grab the files from your CD server.

If this is in fact what you need I'd recommend a Crestron system. Crestron is not the least expensive system but it will give you the most bang for your buck. They offer solutions which can function as a stand alone music system but it is a home automation system as well. Therefore you can have completely integrated control over your whole-house music as well as surround sound. It can even be expanded to operate other sub systems in your home such as lights, HVAC, security, etc.

If you're new to this world I will pray that you make a good decision. Unfortunately you're likely to get bombarded with info; especially after people read my recommendation of Crestron.

Here's the deal; there are a lot of systems available that say they can do what you need or can do what Crestron systems can do. Crestron is the number one automation system's manufacture in the world. Their systems have been proven for years. If you're just looking for something "cheap" then go ahead & use the other recommendations. If you want something that is proven, will last & can be expanded then Crestron is it.

If you need help designing a system I can help you with it. I am not interested in selling you a system. While I can furnish you a system I am one of the few people in the AV business that focuses more on design & service then selling you parts.

E-mail me directly if you'd like more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.