AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having the basement finished this month and I'm getting into home theater for the first time. I have been going back and forth on HTiB or separates.

HTiB- The only two that have cought my eye are Onkyo's HTS894 or the 907. The 907 might be just out of my budget at $1000. Just about everything I've read on them is good.

Separates- the receivers that I am leaning to are- Onkyo TX-SR604

Harman Kardon AVR 245, although the low power 50watts per channel worries me somewhat.

I would pair these with one of the following-Polk RM6750 5.1

Onkyo SKS HT240 6.1

yamaha NS-FP9500 slim line 6.1

I have no idea wehter or not to go HDMI (even thought both of those receivers have it).

Right now I have a Panasonic 47WX49 but will upgrade in about 6 months. I also have a Panasonic 42PX60U plasma but the wife loves it in the upstairs livingroom.

The room is about 20' x21'.

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
210 Posts
First off, make sure you have run all of the necessary speaker wires and cables before you put up the drywall . . . then worry about the equipment. The equipment can always be upgraded later, but I don't think you will want to tear up the walls to run speaker cable.

·
Registered
725 Posts
remember that hk rates their power differently than the others. 50w is all channels at once.

i have the 604 and i like it. it's "90 watts" but that is per channel.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Agree with the above post, get everything you need in the walls before the drywall goes up. Then I would recommed setting a budget for the system, speakers, sub and receiver and then heading over to the speaker forum with your specifics on budget, room size, what size speakers your looking for and they will give you some good ideas and thoughts. Speakers are the most important component in the overall sound of a system so they should be researched first and you can get a quality receiver in a wide variation of price ranges.

If your entire budget is in the $600 or over range you can put together a budget system that will far exceed an htib packaged system. Of course it won't have HDMI and other bells and whistles that you'll have to reach to a higer price point to get.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpartyshack /forum/post/0

First off, make sure you have run all of the necessary speaker wires and cables before you put up the drywall . . . then worry about the equipment. The equipment can always be upgraded later, but I don't think you will want to tear up the walls to run speaker cable.

The speaker wire will go in before the drywall. The contractor is running it for me. At this point I really just need help in figuring out if on of the configurations is a good set up that will keep me happy for about 5 or so years.

Oh yeah, my budget is around $800 maybe a little more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvisneau /forum/post/0

remember that hk rates their power differently than the others. 50w is all channels at once.

i have the 604 and i like it. it's "90 watts" but that is per channel.

I've read that but don't really understand. Do they under estimate and everyone else over estimates. Is that HK a good receiver? Better than the TX SR 604?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie16 /forum/post/0

I never even thought of going that rout. I'll look into the items you suggested. I know to little of speakers to attempt that on my own. Thanks for the advice.

Another option can be 2 Pairs of Infinity Primus 150 and 1 Primus C25 with Bic H-100 sub and Onkyo SR504 receiver. This also should be pretty close to $750 mark.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Their are several good speaker options in your budget, the two listed a great choices but their are others, I personally love Athena for a budget spekaker but that's my preference, head over to the speaker forum and you should get some good ideas if you want others.

I would steer away from the Onkyo and Yamaha speaker systems you listed above. Yamaha and Onkyo are known for making quality receivers but not so much for their speakers. You'll get a better bang for the buck and a better setup by going with a company that specializes in speakers, AV123, Athena, Infinity, Polk among others.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I posted over in the speaker forum also.

As for the receivers, what seems to be the concensus on HDMI? Is it worth it, I have found a few receivers that do HDMI switching in the $400-$500 range. Of course I would then have to cut back on the speakers. The more I learn the more confused I get(does that even make sense).

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie16 /forum/post/0

Thanks for the advice. I posted over in the speaker forum also.

As for the receivers, what seems to be the concensus on HDMI? Is it worth it, I have found a few receivers that do HDMI switching in the $400-$500 range. Of course I would then have to cut back on the speakers. The more I learn the more confused I get(does that even make sense).

That's up to you and their are compromises to both. With an HDMI receiver you'd be able to use the receiver as a switcher for video as well as audio as opposed to running the video sraight to the tv and having to switch video on the tv when you switched audio on the receiver. If you have to cut back on the speakers to get this you'll be stepping back in sound quality for the entire system. Speakers have the most impact on a systems sound. IMO no go with the best speaker/sub setup you can afford in the budget.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.