AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok there are just TONS of threads out there that I was a little overwhelmed. I poked around a bit and got a little educated, but am still lacking in some of the basic resources I need to make an informed purchase of an LCD TV.

So I will profile what I am looking for and ask a couple questions that I am leaning on those gurus out there to take me by the hand and point me to the correct resources.

1. My price point is ~$1200

2. I am looking in the 37'-42' range

3. 1080p

That is all I know really. My questions are:

What the heck is 1080p? How does the combination of 1080p, resolution (1366x786) and all the other stats interact together to give a snapshot of the quality of an image? In general consensus which manufacturers should I avoid and which should I gravitate toward?

I am by no means a videophile (is that a word :p) but I love movies in their correct format and I love to really be a part of the experience when I watch a movie. I don't watch TV at all so if that makes any difference in my choice please tell me as well.

Thanks for all the help you can provide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what you are looking for I would say get a Samsung 4061 or 4065. If all you are watching is movies I would look at a Plasma as well. I have kids so I didnt want to have to worry about any image retention, etc with them and possibly video games down the road.

I am not an expert either but have been researchign which TV to buy for the last 3 months or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah forgot, I have a xbox 360 as well... but I will not watch a tuner tv as I torrent all the shows I want to watch.

Is samsung a step above the rest?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts