AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a decent TV and a computer that will be placed nearby it. I am looking to build a home theatre around the TV, so I've got a decision. I don't want to spend much money on this. Should I go ahead and buy a home theatre in a box, or is there a decently cheap way for me to build just as good a system, using my computer?

So option 1 - spend $300-500 on a home theatre in a box.

Option 2 - buy speakers, a decent sound card, and whatever else i'd need to hook my TV and video game systems through my computer to pump sound out of those speakers? i've got a decent computer with a dvd drive, but i would have to invest in a decent sound card i know.

Which option is best, and can anybody give me direction on what to buy? I don't plan on ever blasting the volume on this system, so I don't need serious watts, but I do want Dolby Digital, DTS, and pro logic 2 (which some of my games would take advantage of)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Castor,

your question might fare better on the forum for HTPCs.

The advantage of a hometheater in a box is that it will work almost out of the box without giving you too much trouble. And you can use it in a different room than your computer.

The advantage of an HTPC is that you get scaling and other sophisticated gimmicks but it's way more work to get it set up and to keep it playing. After all, we are talking about a computer here. Also if the HTPC is in the same room and you are basically using your normal PC, the sound of the drive and fan can get very annoying. If you don't use a projector the scaling is really not necessary as you won't see the resolution effect on a normal TV.

You see, I'd lean towards an HTIB for convenience and ease of mind with the same quality at the same price. You would have to buy an amp for your speakers in any case.

You might want to start or search a thread for best HTiB under $500.

Till

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.