AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to bite the bullet and get myself a home theater system. I bug my friends, I read many reviews and I scour the forums before I ultimately decide on the combination that I believe will satisfy my needs. I spent several months agonizing over my options and then I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my system - I preordered the Onkyo 605 (available late May) and the AV123 x-ls/x-cs 5.1 speaker system (which will ship on Tuesday
) and I can sit back and wait for the pieces to come in, everything is good.

Unfortunately, before my system can even arrive, my wife drops the bomb and states that she HAS (and she means now
) to redecorate and one of the keystones of this redecoration is to move the Plasma TV to above the fireplace, remove the existing TV stand and to realign the remaining/new furniture accordingly. Naturally her plan has completely destroyed my planned HT layout
and now I am looking for suggestions.

My Family room is roughly 20x19 with 9 foot ceilings and an open layout to the rest of the house -- I have attached a JPG to show a rough approximation of size and possible furniture layout. I have the following equipment:

50 Panasonic Plasma TV (60U)

Onkyo 605 (on preorder)

AV123 5.1 Speaker System

TIVO Series 3

TIVO Series 2

Panasonic DVD recorder

Sony VCR

Logitech Harmony 676 Universal Remote Control

I am looking for input as to speaker placement. Since she wants the TV mounted above the fireplace that would put the bottom of the TV at just over 5 feet off the floor. Would it be best to place the 3 front speakers on the fireplace mantle (5 ft high) or should I put the Left and Right fronts on speaker stands lower to the ground or wall mounted elsewhere? Also, where would be the best place to put the Left and Right surrounds and how high?

Then I have the question of component configuration/placement - since my wife wants to get rid of the current TV stand we have to make the decision of where/how to place all of the components. Even though I had not planned it, I am considering falling back to Plan B which is to have all of my components flow thru the Onkyo 605 receiver and have a single HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. If this is actually feasible, I could then get a longer HDMI cable and place all of the components in the closet of my office (about 50 ft cable) or in my master bedroom (25 ft cable); otherwise, I would have to get a new rack for the living room and/or run multiple cables to the TV.

Since this is my first attempt at a Home Theater system I am open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Don't ever put a TV over the fireplace, it's way too high and it will fatigue you to watch it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan /forum/post/0

Don't ever put a TV over the fireplace, it's way too high and it will fatigue you to watch it.

I have mentioned that to my wife, but she does not listen too well
an interior decorator made the fireplace suggestion and now she seems pretty determined. Personally, I was very happy with the current TV configuration.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonre /forum/post/0

I have mentioned that to my wife, but she does not listen too well
an interior decorator made the fireplace suggestion and now she seems pretty determined. Personally, I was very happy with the current TV configuration.

TELL HER NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Stand up for yourself man.

And let this be a lesson to you: fireplaces are useless, and if any interior designer suggests one, it's time to find someone else. Fireplaces are meant to be the focus of a room and they always interfere with stuff that's more important. This even goes for states with crappy winters like mine.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I try to keep the screen at eye level or lower. This prevents head tilting. If you sit naturally on a chair the screen should be in front of you, unless the chairs are specially tilted.

Also, I find putting the speakers all at the same level, about ear level, to work best. Although surrounds have more variance since they are used less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:

Stand up for yourself man.

And let this be a lesson to you: fireplaces are useless, and if any interior designer suggests one, it's time to find someone else. Fireplaces are meant to be the focus of a room and they always interfere with stuff that's more important. This even goes for states with crappy winters like mine.

I agree that Fireplaces are pretty much useless and a waste of space and, unfortunately, the interior decorator is the mother of my daughter's classmate and she offered her services for free (TANSTAFL
). I am trying to explore my options here so that I can layout the options and let the chips fall where they may, but unfortunately around here the old adage of "if MaMa ain't happy then nobody is happy" is definitely in force.

That being said, will the single HDMI cable out of the receiver work with the stated components?

Also, if I do put the components in another room, is there a recommended Remote Relay that works consistently.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Even your wife will not be happy with the TV over the fireplace.

Tell her if you put it there, there is no reason to have couches in the room anyways because you will have to stand up to watch TV.
It will be like sitting in the front row of the theater.

Placing speakers next to a fireplace is asking for trouble, too - you don't want to expose them to much heat.

My wife was thinking of the same thing - I calmly explained all the above to her and she understood. I now have a TV nook next to the fireplace in the house we are building. Good luck, but there is no way a TV should be up that high.

Your TV should go on the wall to the left or right of the fireplace at a minimum.

Believe me, I know if mama ain't happy, nobody is happy, but there is no reason to sabotage the room in this way for a hairbrained idea like this.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Putting a fireplace in the room is already sabotaging it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:

Being raised in the hotter portions of Arizona, I too am of the opinion that fireplaces are totally unnecessary. That being said, is it really going to make that much of a difference if the plasma is 60 inches above the floor as opposed to 36 inches?

And I am still looking for assurances
that the 605 will be able to handle everything and output the audio/video to the plasma with a single HDMI cable and no degradation of video quality.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yes, it makes a huge difference, unless perhaps you're in a recliner...

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:

Eh, come on. Lots of folks live where it can get nippy in the winter and like a fire, whether gas or wood.

The problem is not the fireplace, it is the placement of the TV over the fireplace.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I live in Massachusetts, which has pretty crappy winters. I repeat: A fireplace is useless.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
I try to keep the screen at eye level or lower. This prevents head tilting. If you sit naturally on a chair the screen should be in front of you, unless the chairs are specially tilted.

Often I say "embrace the fireplace"....most of the time people ARE reclining or laying down on the sofa AND YOU CAN NOW PUT THE CENTER DOWN LOWER , A BIT MORE EVEN WITH THE MAINS.

Usually the room is laid out so that the fireplace is in the place where a tv should go anyway, but in your case (a corner application) it will be more of a challenge and it does appear that the front chairs may be very close. The other downside for you is that the speakers you have choosen might stick out like a sore thumb in this configuration thereby negating all the hopes the decorator had for getting te room to look right. You could use this opportunity to tell your wife that you aren't happy , but if she wants it that way, you will have to increase the equipment budget to get something that will work with that layout.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Keep your HT plans - get a new wife! LOL!!

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:

I live in Massachusetts, which has pretty crappy winters. I repeat: A fireplace is useless.

Great, I am happy for you.

But I repeat, some folks do like a fireplace.

Maybe your fireplace is useless. To you. For whatever reason you come up with.

I know lots of people who feel otherwise. Doesn't make them wrong.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
But they are in the minority.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts