AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appealing to the AVS gurus on this board. I have the Pioneer RPTV PRO710HD and still going strong. I'm trying to stay away from the stores so I'm not convinced to sell and or upgrade.

Anyway, my father called to tell me that his 16 year old (horrible picture if you can imagine on a 16 yr old set) finally died. He doesn't have a clue but went to the store and looked at the Panasonic 60" LCD PT-60LCX64 which was going for about 2800 with stand. I know that Samsung has some nice DLP sets but I don't know how much they go for...

He's OK with spending up to about 3K and I really think that he should set his sights on DLP because of the bright displays and optimum price vs. performance.

Can anyone offer any advice or refer me to a great sale right now for a DLP that's around 60-61 inches? He's an impulse buyer so I wanted to shop very quickly for him so he doesn't overpay and buy something that doesn't fit his needs!!

:)

·
Registered
15,533 Posts
My 2 year old Samsung has worked perfectly, so I highly recommend it. He should be able to get a 720p DLP for that price. However, he needs to go to the store to make sure he doesn't see rainbows with DLPs (most people don't, but if he does, DLP is not for him).

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
The new Samsung 1080P 6168 will be over his budget and may have to settle for a 720P. The Panasonic is most likely 720P. Too bad he can't wait for the Toshiba 1080P as they are supposed to be less money.

With TVA PB - He pays no tax, no delivery charge and the extended warranty is affordable. Check out TVA as they have 5 star return policy or another could dealer is Vanns. Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Westa.

Went to Vanns.com (can't find TVA). I see they have a Toshiba 62HM84 for 2699 (500 off!). Is that the new Toshiba DLP or is this an old model? That one is definitely in his price range but I don't know about the unit or the picture. I did see that they're advertising the HL-R6167W for 3199 with free shipping but he'd have to buy the stand on top of that and I didn't see how much that was or if they even carried it?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I have a first generation Samsung DLP that has a fantastic picture. Not one problem in the two plus years I have owned it. Your father won't be disappointed with the current 720p offerings of Samsung. But also look into the Mitsubishi DLP. It really has a sharp picture. We do a shoot out with three micro display TVs (two DLPs and one LCoS) on our podcast ( http://www.htguys.com/archive/2005/June092005.html )

Ara

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
PRO710HD

The 6168 is a PB - the very first thread of this forum plus TVA is a Sponsor at the top of the page.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=545162&page=1

Members Link
http://www.tvauthority.com/avs-members-only.asp

You won't see the price until you select it in the PB and place it in your cart - only then does the real price show - placing it in your cart doesn't obligate you in any way until you complete a pre-order and then confirm when it ships with your credit card so it gives plenty of opportunity to change your mind.. I think it's $3,445. with free shipping and no tax unless your in CA or WA. You may be able to get the 6167 in your budget area. We're not actually supposed to post prices unless they are MSRP and virtually no one sells at MSRP outside of the Qualia 006.

I would go for the 6167 if budget cannot reach 1080P level right now prices have dropped as the 1080P units have shipped now. The 6167 just debuted about 2 months ago and is highly rated and significantly less than the 1080P equivalent.

The Toshiba is a good set but is from about a year ago and their new ones (1080P) are supposed to arrive next month and at less money than most competitors 1080P's. You can check reviews at CNET on the Toshiba - I got censored by a moderator for linking to the reviews as they had pricing links on the same page. Just go to CNET and search for the Toshiba model number or any other to check real owners ratings or use Circuit City Customer Reviews but I don't recommend buying at CC as sites like TVA and Vanns can easily win - sometimes by a large margin unless you get a Local B&M Manager that price matches. Good Luck! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.