AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my plus he-3200 on the weekend and I have a couple of questions.

First of all I love the unit (especially the price)

My questions are:

1. My dvd is not progressive scan but I remember reading that this projector converts interlaced to progressive internally (bypassing the dvd's progressive scanner) so I would be foolish to buy a progressive scan dvd player because the projector is already doing this.

Is this correct?

EDIT - Found out I don't need a progressive dvd player because he-3200 does change the image to progressive on its own!!!!! A progressive scan dvd player would be redundant (saved some $$$$) :)

2. When inputting from a computer would the average Joe (me) notice the difference between RGB and Dvi?

3. I've got my dvd player running directly to the component in on the projector now. I want to get a new receiver (about $1000) and run the component cable from the dvd player to the receiver and then out (component) to the projector. Will I experince loss of video going through the $1000 receiver or do I need to spend a ton more to get the same video quality of outputting the dvd directly to the projector.

4. I don't want to buy a screen until I try projecting it on a white painted wall.

What sort of paint is best. Flat white????? - latex or alkyd. Any recommended brand names.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bobeetie -

There is an advantage to a progressive scan DVD player in that the line doubling is done in the digital domain. Yes, the piano does a nice job nevertheless. The real advantage of DVI over RGB is avoiding the ole digital to analog to digital problem. Whereas I have not seen DVI with my own eyes, the piano limits you to 800 x 600 which may lead to scaling artifacts on a anamorphic DVD.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got the older Piano 3100, which doesn't have a progressive input so I can't say the benefits of using a progressive scan DVD. However, the price difference for a progressive DVD is so little, you may just want to buy one and try it out.

As for DVI (i.e.: HTPC) - I've heard it produces a better image on the Piano. But I personally shy away from HTPC/DVI because of the usability issues. I don't want to toy around with a PC to play my movies.

I'd definately recommend shelling out a few hundred dollars for a screen. You'll immediately notice the diffrence in picture quality. I'm using a Da-Lite HCCV (High-Contrast Cinema Vision) with my Piano and it produces a great picture. You can skimp on the other areas, but I think a good screen makes a big difference.

I haven't seen the new 3200 Piano, but if its anything like the 3100, you'll love it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.