AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just get off the phone with a friend who is not considering Plasma's because he doesn't want to replace the screen every year or so. I told him that he may be confusing this with the bulbs for DLP's. He then tells me that his friend manages a BB and knows this for a fact. I tell him he is crazy and BB and his buddy have no clue. Since this guy told him this it is the gospel. Is there any link or story that can posted to tell him otherwise?

thanks

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
it's not the screen that needs replacing it is the plasma gas..........
early april fool's.

tell him bb would not be selling extended warranties to plasma buyers if that were true. send it in to mythbusters .....he and his bb manager buddy are BUSTED. totally untrue you need to replace a plasma screen every two years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But can't you just buy one of those plasma recharge kit that plugs into the HDMI ?

HAHA I work at Best Buy too and I hear that crap all the time, but from customers not employees. Let me know what store he went to I'll call the manager and insult him.

·
Premium Member
18,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFrohman /forum/post/0

OK, I just get off the phone with a friend who is not considering Plasma's because he doesn't want to replace the screen every year or so. I told him that he may be confusing this with the bulbs for DLP's. He then tells me that his friend manages a BB and knows this for a fact. I tell him he is crazy and BB and his buddy have no clue. Since this guy told him this it is the gospel. Is there any link or story that can posted to tell him otherwise?

Either your friend misunderstood the BB "salesman", or the salesman either lied or is an uninformed idiot. Tell your friend to read AVS and never ever believe what a salesman says because they're very often clueless about the technologies they sell. It's amazing that management allows this to continue as it has for several years already.

Plasmas are typically rated at 60,000 hours which is about 20 years of daily use.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here is a link to a pdf of Panasonic's "white paper" on myths relating to plasmas.

http://www.dynamicdigital.ca/documen...nd%20Myths.pdf

I have also attached the actual PDF document.

It states:

"Panasonic plasmas have a half brightness rating of 60,000 hours four times the life of CRT rear projection. This equates to more than twenty-three years at seven hours a day viewing, around the average daily TV viewing time per U.S. household."

And then goes on to say: "...there is never a need to recharge or refill the plasma panel. Conversely, there is no possibility of moisture leaking in, it can never fog up like a car windshield and, unlike an incandescent light bulb, a plasma panel doesnt suddenly burn out."

Hope this helps.

Panasonic Plasma Facts.pdf 207.0517578125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
i wouldnt worry to much about the plasma gases. its the flex capacitor you should keep you eye on. LOL

·
Registered
785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpresspackage /forum/post/0

do u mean flux capacitor? lol

It's the fetzer valve. Get me some gauze pads and some 30 weight.

It's all ball bearings nowadays.

See how long it takes for someone to identify that one, and so applicable. LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReilly1 /forum/post/0

It's the fetzer valve. Get me some gauze pads and some 30 weight.

It's all ball bearings nowadays.

See how long it takes for someone to identify that one, and so applicable. LOL

Perhaps you need a refresher. Fletch is one of my favourite movies. Guy I know who works at a local AV store tells customers that if they have burn-in all they need to do is shake the set, a la etch-a-sketch. Too funny.

·
Registered
785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kberman /forum/post/0

Perhaps you need a refresher. Fletch is one of my favourite movies. Guy I know who works at a local AV store tells customers that if they have burn-in all they need to do is shake the set, a la etch-a-sketch. Too funny.

That movie was priceless.

Funny Farm was good too, old Chevy was the man

·
Registered
864 Posts
I do not bother wasting my time and getting frustrated trying to explain such things to people. It is a belief and beliefs are the most thing thing to change.

I just nod my head, chuckle and walk away to my couch where I sit happily watching my plasma tv.

Oh yeah I also have a "gas" guage attached to the usb port on my plasma. Right now it says 3/4 full so I have at least a few months before re-energizing my plasma's gas. I did buy a flux capacitor at "Plasmas R Us" which dramatically reduces the re-energizing time.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yep, I invested heavily in some stock that the plasma-gas guy sold to me just before he took my set away to "top it up". Funny, that was over 4 months ago now and he STILL hasn't brought it back

I figure we'll be cornering the market on those solar-powered flashlights when they hit the stores in june!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have no words...

·
Registered
112 Posts
LOL. Sorry to bump this but I just had a conversation with a buddy of mine saying a saleman at Nebraska Furniture Mart told him that you have to recharge plasmas every few years. LMFAO. how do some people have jobs? I guarentee he was trying to sell my buddy an extended warrenty.

btw, I should go there and ask the guy where I can get some blinker fluid and muffler bearing grease.

LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts