AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a plasma for my parents. Based on the readings of this forum, I've come down to 2 models...the Fuji P50 and the Pio 1110hd. Their viewing distance is around 8-9 feet in a brightly lit room. In fact, the unit will go against a bay window. Most of their viewing right now is SD via cable, and a few dvds here and there. I'm sure when they purchase the unit, this will be upgraded to satelite. I figured the pro's of the pio is the "all in one box" nature, and the fact that it functions as a normal tv. The Fuji on the other hand might be a little more confusing to them. (My mom has a hard time acessing the internet). I've read that the Fuji offers a brighter picture (I guess the newer Fuji is even brighter)....will it make that much a difference considering the brightness of our room? I've seen both models, and each time I look at them, I get more confused. Sometimes one looks better than the other and vice versa. Based on the archives, people complain of the Pio 1110Hd black levels to be not there yet, and the green push. I don't think I've read any bad things about the Fuji. I think I'm leaning towards the Pio mainly because I think it would be easier to use for my parents. Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Take the Pioneer and be happy. We nit-pickers will debate the finner points forwever. The truth of the matter is, the are both awesome panels and you can't go wrong. You answered your own question, take the Pioneer and make it somewhat easy on your parents.

Good luck

·
23,039 Posts
Does it have to be a plasma? You or they are spending big bucks to watch

SD and a few DVDs. Will they get HDTV on satellite?

Either panel is great.

Totally almost off topic - What would we do if Fuji ever made a P50 camera? :)

larry

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by golfster84
I'm in the market for a plasma for my parents. Based on the readings of this forum, I've come down to 2 models...the Fuji P50 and the Pio 1110hd. Their viewing distance is around 8-9 feet in a brightly lit room. In fact, the unit will go against a bay window. Most of their viewing right now is SD via cable, and a few dvds here and there. I'm sure when they purchase the unit, this will be upgraded to satelite. I figured the pro's of the pio is the "all in one box" nature, and the fact that it functions as a normal tv. The Fuji on the other hand might be a little more confusing to them. (My mom has a hard time acessing the internet). I've read that the Fuji offers a brighter picture (I guess the newer Fuji is even brighter)....will it make that much a difference considering the brightness of our room? I've seen both models, and each time I look at them, I get more confused. Sometimes one looks better than the other and vice versa. Based on the archives, people complain of the Pio 1110Hd black levels to be not there yet, and the green push. I don't think I've read any bad things about the Fuji. I think I'm leaning towards the Pio mainly because I think it would be easier to use for my parents. Please advise. Thanks
My impressions after seeing them both is the Fujitsu picture is a little bit "better" than the Pioneer on HD signals. Not significantly better but definitely noticable ( to me). On regular SD signals the Futjitsu is a lot better ( in my opinion). If your parents will be watching a good bit of SD, then i think the Fuji is the way to go.

JW

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by golfster84
I'm in the market for a plasma for my parents. Based on the readings of this forum, I've come down to 2 models...the Fuji P50 and the Pio 1110hd. Their viewing distance is around 8-9 feet in a brightly lit room.

Based on the archives, people complain of the Pio 1110Hd black levels to be not there yet, and the green push. I
Bright rooms will enhance black levels on the Pioneer. So this won't be an issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had the 1110 now for a week and have no regrets. I am sure the Fujitsu would have looked great in my house as well, but I cannot complain about SD nor HD. I have not noticed "poor" black levels or "green" push. Maybe my eyesight is just not up to par. The media box is a good tool for those that want it to act like a tv.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wait a couple of weeks for the panel to burn-in. The green issue was not apparent on my 1110 till after the burn-in. The great news is it is easily fixed with a manual color temperature adjustment.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Either one would do a great job. I've spend a number of hours watching them both. I'd pick the Pioneer over last year's Fujitsu. I haven't had a chance to really watch this year's P50 Fujitsu.

I don't think you'll be unhappy with either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My viewing of these 2 panels is that the Fujitsu has a much better picture for SD broadcasts (due to the processor). In addition, the green tone in the Pio bothers me (it can be adjusted out to some degree). At the end of the day, you need to use you own, or your parents, eyes watching the type of programming they will watch to decide if you think the Fujitsu justifies the extra $. After a bunch of viewing, I did, but others have come out the other way.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Fuji still does not equal Fujitsu. Never has, probably never will.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FWIW, I'm a happy Pro 1110HD owner.

That said, I flipped a coin between the Pioneer and the Fujitsu. As mentioned previously, both are exceptional panels and will provide unbelievable PQ. With regard to one being *better* than the other, I have viewed and tweaked both of these displays at a number of different metro-Detroit B&Ms and learned one thing:

Calibration is everything

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Fuji still does not equal Fujitsu. Never has, probably never will.
LMAO,

You are never going to let that one pass are you?

Unless of course Fuji and Fujitsu merge.:D

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Unless of course Fuji and Fujitsu merge."

That's why I put in the "probably."

:) :) :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you are buying this for them then I suspect the two following points are true:

1. They probably couldn't discern the PQ difference between the 2 panels.

2. All other things being equal, they will be happiest with the easiest to use solution.

If true, it sounds like the Pio is the way to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.