AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got the projector off of EBay in hopes of being able to hook an HDMI up to it and use an adapter to successfully connect it to the projector. Projector inputs are as follows: Red/white/yellow, s-video, (2) VGA inputs, and rs-232. I bought a 20ft HDMI cable, HDMI to dvi adapter, and then Dvi to VGA adapter, and then connected it to the projector. I cannot get it to produce a signal to the projector. Can someone tell me what I need to make this work? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I recently got the projector off of EBay in hopes of being able to hook an HDMI up to it and use an adapter to successfully connect it to the projector. Projector inputs are as follows: Red/white/yellow, s-video, (2) VGA inputs, and rs-232. I bought a 20ft HDMI cable, HDMI to dvi adapter, and then Dvi to VGA adapter, and then connected it to the projector. I cannot get it to produce a signal to the projector. Can someone tell me what I need to make this work? Thank you in advance.
You need a projector with a HDMI input.

VGA is an analog connection.
HDMI is a digital connection.

You basically are trying to figure out how to play a CD on a record player. No adapter makes that happen. You need a CD/DVD/Blu-ray player to play CDs. Similarly, you need a digitally connected projector to play back your digital sources.

It should be noted that there are active HDMI to VGA adapters out there, but those adapters do not remove copyright protection (HDCP) which is on almost all digital content including cable boxes and movies (DVD/Blu-ray).

So, while not that old (2010 model), it's lack of a digital input with copyright protection is a huge failure and I would never in this world recommend such a model to anyone looking for home theater, and you are finding out the reason why.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sharp-PG-D2710X.htm

Now, that said, you can feed the projector a HD signal if you use the component video output from your sources. Blu-ray player (modern) don't have component video output. Most cable boxes do have a component video output. This is a RED/GREEN/BLUE RCA connection on the back of a full sized cable box. It produces a full 1080i signal (not that the projector can fully reproduce it) which it can display.

To feed component video into the projector, you will need a VGA to component video adapter cable.

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-POTH...ywords=vga+to+component+cable#customerReviews

This is exactly the right cable for you. You plug the VGA into the projector, then plug the RCA ends into the component output on your HD cable box.

Keep in mind, HD video is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080. Your projector is 1024x768. So, you can see that the projector will throw out pixels to make it fit the screen. 1024x576 is what you will see on screen. You may need to go into the menu of the projector to tell it to use component video on the VGA input.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Yea you can buy a grey market hdmi to vga converter, might cost you as much as you paid for the projector.

I'd also find out for certain that it can accept and HD signal. Enforce going that route.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
So there is no way to make project a ps4 or Xbox 360? Sorry not very tech savvy
Not any good way which makes sense for your situation.

In the future, if you aren't tech savvy, please ask on the forums before you purchase anything. There are plenty here who are more than willing to help. Just let people know what you are after, and they will let you know what's available (or if you are crazy)... Keep your expectations in balance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts