AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am without any theater/dvd and want to get one (I had a cheap 300 dollar Aiwa HTiB that broke). I have been looking around and haven't been able to find anything good. All of the HTiB's have weird speaker connections or the speakers are sealed so that I can't use my own longer wire or upgrade. Also, the surrounds sound non-existant and the receiver/dvd's break easily. Anyway...

I was thinking about getting an Onkyo HTS-650 system which includes the TX-SR500 5.1 Receiver and the SKS-HT500 Speaker system/Sub for $300 and then buying a matching Onkyo DV-SP500 DVD player for $199. The HTS-650 is factory reconditioned direct from Onkyo and the DVD player would be brand new from Crutchfield. This way I could be buying a big bulky and better quality and upgradeable system rather than a cheap HTiB. If I purchased the same system from Circuit City it would be $499 for the HTS-650 and $250 for the DV-SP500 which is $750 total while I'd only be paying $500 from the places I am getting it. ($250 difference!)

My Question is...should I do this and get a factory reconditioned model that is tested by Onkyo or should I wait for the new HTiB's that are coming out later this year and might be more money for a less quality product but be more ergonomic, compact, and easier to use? Pioneer is coming out w/ a 330DV, 430DV, 530DV and wireless 630DV but I don't know if they even have a sub pre-out or at least spring clip speaker attachments which are a minimum requirement for me (some of the current pioneer's don't have these for $600 bucks!). Factory reconditioned worries me but if I get the products and they don't work, they will pay for me to ship them back and exchange it. Also, I can buy extended warranties for everything for $80 which equals 3 years. And another thing I could do is buy the same speaker system from Circuit City new and return my reconditioned product to Circuit City even though that's kinda shady. So should I get this Onkyo system even though the model was released last year and Onkyo is coming out w/ new stuff and it is refurbished or should I get something else now that you would recommend or should I wait for new models coming out and do you have any in mind? I would just wait til new stuff comes out and then decide but Onkyo and Circuit City and Crutchfield might not still have the system at the same price or it may just not be available w/ the new models coming out. Thanks!

www.cnet.com (hts650 gets editors choice last year), www.crutchfield.com (home theater products), www.onkyousa.com (product info)

http://www.onkyousa.com/images/produ...s/txsr500f.gif

http://www.onkyousa.com/images/produ...s/sksht500.gif

http://www.onkyousa.com/images/products/dvd/dvsp500.gif

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the HTS-650 and I am very happy with it. It is an excellent value for what you get. It is certainly entry level but for my needs it does the trick. I do wish it had component switching instead of S-video switching, but it's not a huge deal.

Going for a refurbished unit is always a tough call. It could work perfectly for many years and save you a bundle or it could crap out on you and turn into a major hassle. IMO spend the $ and get it new to avoid the possible hassle. I would find a better price for it though. Do a search on Google, I'm sure you can get it cheaper online.

New entry level HTS's are also a gamble. They'll throw all the buzzword goodies at you but you might get crap.

I have no comment on the DVD player. I'm using a Sony DVPNS700P which works quite well.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I have the Onkyo and am very happy with it. The only drawbacks are the lack of anything higher than 5.1, or component video. I wanted neither, so the system is perfect for me.

I did a lot of research on Onkyo refurbished, and everything said the same basic thing. It's good stuff - perhaps even better than new since it has been checked over more. While I was hemming and hawing, Onkyo ran out of the refurbished systems. I ended up getting it from Circut City - while I was looking at systems, somebody had just returned one that they literally hadn't taken out of the box. I got it as "open box" for $400.

Oh, and I don't mean to be preachy or anything, but buying one item and then returning another isnt' "kinda shady", it's theft and fraud. Not really any different from stealing the $200 price difference out of the cash register.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just ordered a TX-SR600 (Refurbished) from Onkyo for $312, and right now Onecall has the refurbished 5-disc DVD changer for $99 plus shipping right now, an incredible deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i heard bad things about the onkyo 5disc dvd changer so i was going to get the dv-sp500 single dvd player instead. onkyo or no one else has it refurbished but its $199 which isn't too bad. i am getting the refurbished hts-650 which includes the speakers AND the tx-sr500 receiver for $300 so although the sr600 is nice, I don't think I really need 6.1channels and can't even afford to buy the extra speaker.

I don't want to order from OneCall b/c they aren't factory authorized reseller, and I'd only want to buy refurbished direct from Onkyo b/c I'm already pushing my luck buying a soon to be discontinued electronics online and not locally.

That's why its either get this Onkyo system which I wouldn't be able to afford if new OR wait til summer and get a Home Theater in a Box from Pioneer which is 6.1channels, is a combo dvd/receiver, and comes w/ all the new technology and ergonomics but skimps on quality.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FYI, Onecall is an Onkyo authorized reseller, and as such the product carries a full one year warranty extendable to whatever length upon purchase. (it says so when you add the product to the cart, check if you dont' believe me)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so the only thing remaining...

should i get the Onkyo system w/ the DV-SP500 single DVD player or with the DV-CP500 5 disc changer? I've read some problems w/ the changer being noisy or not reading DVD's well but I haven't read anything about the single disc DVD player. Also, it looks like the SP500 single has an aluminum front and matches the receiver I'm buying better while the CP500 5disc changer is plastic front. I might have to buy the single disc anyway b/c it isn't as tall (the bigger one probly won't fit in my furniture), the remote looks more like the receiver remote, and the single has an RI remote compatibility with the receiver while the 5disc does not. Also, the SP500 has VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) while the CP500 does not but the CP500 plays Mpeg. The CP500 was 299 and the SP500 was 299 but I can get the CP500 for 169 refurbished or the SP500 brand new for 199 which tells me that since its a single disc it might be higher quality for the same price?

DV-CP500 5disc dvd changer
http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/...dvcp500-f.jpeg

DV-SP500 single disc dvd
http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/...DVSP500-F.jpeg

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Changers just add one more thing that can go wrong. I understand the popularity for CD's - you can set up for a party and not have to mess with the stereo for hours. But what exactly is the point of a 5-dvd player?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool that's what i was thinking - if 2 products are the same price and one is 5disc and the other is single disc, the single disc player is probably better b/c it has more features/quality to make it the same price since no 5disc changer. also, its only one mechanism to break instead of 5.

Its just weird that there are NO reviews of the DV-SP500 whatsoever and I can't tell if its older than the CP500 or the same release or what. Audioreview has a couple of reviews from buyers but they say modelyear 2001 and are negative but the people on that site are usually kinda stupid. You'd think some hometheater would have reviewed it! Well the DV-SP500 single disc has more buttons on the front of the player and has aluminum face and is an Onkyo so I thought it would be ok. It would be cool to get the DV-SP800 but that is like 900 bucks! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.