AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I have an older high end Denon receiver with 7.1 channel and digital inputs. I plan on upgrading to a Denon Pre-pro and amp combo in the future with HDMI inputs but I need to save up for that, so that is in the future.

Here is the HTPC that I'm currently building:

ASUS LGA775 MB with a 2.83 Ghz CPU and P45 chipset; It has an on board Optical and Coaxial connectors on the back panel and AD2000 8-channel High Definition audio CODEC with six 3.5 mm analog jacks also on the back panel.

ATI Radeon HD 4850 Video card

LG internal SATA Blu-Ray / HD-DVD drive

I'll be running Windows 7 (32 bit) with WinDVD 9 + blu-ray (I read that it plays back HD-DVD's) and AnyDVD

I know that some of this equipment is overkill with an HTPC but some of it was with spare parts and some given to me from a friend who was upgrading his stuff and I do plan on doing some gaming as well.

So here are my questions finally. To get multi-channel sound from my blu-rays and HD-DVDs can I run just a optical or coax cable from the MB to the receiver digitally or would I have to get four 3.5 mm to stereo RCA cables and go from my MB to my receiver's 7.1 analog inputs?

Next would a sound card be a big improvement in terms of sound quality over the last question and if so, could you recommend a few in the ball park of $200?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help in advance.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Just get the 3.5mm to RCA cables, you're talking $5 for all 4 from Monoprice. The computer will then do the decoding and you won't need to upgrade your AVR.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18282574

Just get the 3.5mm to RCA cables, you're talking $5 for all 4 from Monoprice. The computer will then do the decoding and you won't need to upgrade your AVR.

Would a motherboards analog audio do a decent job, particularly with D/A? I have always used digital, however I assumed if I ventured towards the analog world then a good sound card would be necessary... I am however an analog noob.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Go with the analog audio. Without HDMI, you are limited to S/PDIF for digital. Decoded HD audio via the analog outputs will still be far superior to S/PDIF audio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts