AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am interested in getting OTA HD local channels. I currently have a DirecTV standard definition system and bought the Sony KDF-E50A10 which includes the ATSC tuner. My question is: what is the best way to get the local HD channels. I think I read somewhere that I can buy two Diplexer to combine and separate the satellite and antenna signals, this will allow me to use the same RG6 cable that runs from the dish to the receiver. I am new to HD installations so please if I am lost let me know. Also what kind of antenna I should buy for OTA local channel. I live in NYC. Thank you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocel
Hello, I am interested in getting OTA HD local channels. I currently have a DirecTV standard definition system and bought the Sony KDF-E50A10 which includes the ATSC tuner. My question is: what is the best way to get the local HD channels. I think I read somewhere that I can buy two Diplexer to combine and separate the satellite and antenna signals, this will allow me to use the same RG6 cable that runs from the dish to the receiver. I am new to HD installations so please if I am lost let me know. Also what kind of antenna I should buy for OTA local channel. I live in NYC. Thank you.
Do you have a clear line-of-site to Empire from your house? If so, then a Channel Master 5646 (aka 3016) or a Wineguard HD7210 is a good place to start. You might want to call WPIX and ask for engineering. They should be able to give you some suggestions to try for your specific location.

Bob Chase

KHWB-TV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello bobchase, I appreciate your help. No I do not have a clear view of the Empire building; there is a high hill that blocks the path. I was wondering if one of those clips on antennas like the ones that DirecTV uses on their dishes would do the trick. Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocel
Hello bobchase, I appreciate your help. No I do not have a clear view of the Empire building; there is a high hill that blocks the path. I was wondering if one of those clips on antennas like the ones that DirecTV uses on their dishes would do the trick. Thanks
Unlikely that any clip-on would work. The 3016 is available at Lowes, Fry's, etc. It's relatively cheap too. Most of the NY stations are going back to the VHF band after the cutoff, so small antennas are not going to do well in the future anyway. The goodnews is that VHF is much easier to receive over the hill and around the bend than UHF is.

Bob Chase

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.