Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am looking to get a 36" hdtv direct view. The current crop from all manufacturers seem to have geometry issues to one extent or another.

Q1 Can these issues be fixed with adjustments?

q2 Is their one brand that is considered the best as far as geometry? (Sony xbr maybe?)

Q3 Will the next wave of flat screens to hit in the next few months most likely (in your opinion) have much better geometry?

Q4 If it were you would you hold off for the next wave of flat screen tv's to hit to get the improved version?

q5 If it were you, with the current state of geometry issues on the flat hdtv direct views, would you opt to go with a non flat hdtv (Hitachi) or are the geometry issus not severe enough to go with a curved tube over a flat?

I was also considering getting the Hitachi 32udx10s 32" hdtv at CC for $999.99 to tide me over until the new 36" sets hit and get some reviews. When and if I found one I liked at this point I could sell the non flat Hitachi.

q6 Would the resale value of a 5-6 month old Hitachi be decent?

q7 Do you think I would have a hard time selling this Hitachi in 5-6 months for a decent price?

I would really like to get something now only if I can sell it for a decent price in 5-6 months when I decide on a 36" flat tube (Hitachi is not flat which you probably know, but no geometry issues). I would really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my stupid questions because I would love to get the opinion of someone who is experienced with these. Thanks for your help! I am confused if you could not tell!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not buying a TV because it might have geometry issues is like not buying a car because it might have engine failure. I bought a XBR and have no geometry problems. I bet 95% of the people also have no issues. The people who do have those issues make a big deal out of it (as they should). Personally, if it happened to me, I'd just return it right away ... no big deal (except for how heavy it is).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yah, geometry issues aren't a reason not to buy a HDTV, my xbr450 looks fine. Waiting for the new versions however, is a good reason not to buy one yet. As long as you don't mind paying MSRP I'd wait till the new xbr800s come out, otheriwse, just buy one now at at good discount.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The Fall Sony's will have improved NTSC picture quality. Probably worth the wait.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I Like my Sammy TSL set. I have the TSL3295HF; you can get it direct from Samsung for real cheap now. I paid like $1700 a year ago and now it's like 1100 or something... Before choosing consider the Samsung DynaFlat line of HDTV direct views.

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply's! I have thought about the Samsung and I think they look great. If I go for a 32" I will most likely go that route. If I go for the 36, I will probably wait on the xbr800. Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Hitachi 36sdx01 (last years model) that has the VGA input. I am very happy with it. I use the VGA input coming from a V1 Iscan as the internal line doubler looks poor on high motion stuff like sports. The 36udx01 selling at $999 would seem to be a good route to go, although I don't see that price now. I did see RCA D36120's at Costco for $999 a couple weeks ago. I got mine on clearance for $1299 last summer.

On the resale value...HDTV is starting to cross over from early adopter to mass consumer. As such, the prices and values are dropping. Any HDTV you buy now will have poor resale value 6-12 months from now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.