AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think Sony STR-DN850 can drive the following:
Fronts: Polk Rti10's
Center: Polk CSi3
Rears: JBL Loft 40 or Polk Rti4

Will it work just fine? Or I need some other receiver?

or Should I stick to the following:
Front: Polk Monitor 65T
Center: CS2 or CS15C
Rears: JBL Loft 40 or Fluance AVBP2

I am getting brand new rti10's for 400 and pair of monitor 65t for 350 so I was curious? as I know rti10 is a big step up from monitor 65T.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That Sony is not a powerhouse (6ohms, 20-20kHz, 2ch driven : 95 W + 95 W), but it should drive either set of speakers fine. (I only checked the mains.) Without doing any calculations, I'm guessing you'll get 65w at 8 ohm all channels driven; so about the same league as the thin amps these days. It'll do fine until you decide to upgrade the receiver some day.

The Rti's have a sensitivity of 89, while the 65T's are 90; so not much of a difference either way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Sony is not a powerhouse (6ohms, 20-20kHz, 2ch driven : 95 W + 95 W), but it should drive either set of speakers fine. (I only checked the mains.) Without doing any calculations, I'm guessing you'll get 65w at 8 ohm all channels driven; so about the same league as the thin amps these days. It'll do fine until you decide to upgrade the receiver some day.

The Rti's have a sensitivity of 89, while the 65T's are 90; so not much of a difference either way.
I see, you think getting Yamaha RX-577 over my sony will help? Only thing stopping me from getting Yamaha is lack of support of hmdi 2.0 for 4k/60ps and bad UI. What are your thoughts on it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.