Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I threw up the AVIA test patterns for convergence last night. I guess I'm not surprised, but my set isn't perfectly converged. The tests with the black "+" signs exhibit some magenta on the left and a touch of deep green on the right. It seems as if the lines making up the "+" signs should be about 4 pixels wide, but mine appear to be a bit fatter. I've ruled out chroma delay as the culprit.

I looked around the service menu for anything that looked like convergence settings, but there was nothing obvious. The "anti-ghosting" on my set is set to "AUTO", which actually is correcting what appears to be a misaligned red panel. I hadn't noticed it before, but during the sharpness test I could see that with "anti-ghosting" set to zero, I have a red image about a centimeter to the left of the rest of the picture. Luckily with the anti-ghosting in the "AUTO" setting, this dissappears.

This is either the 29th or 30th day with my set, so I have to make a decision ASAP - are all of the sets going to have these issues? Will I just have to ISF whatever set I get to perfectly converge it for max resolution? Can an ISF tech tear apart the set to manually converge individual LCD panels? The set looks very good, but now that I know it's not performing to its potential...

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ron

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
As far as I know, there is nothing you can do -- swap the TV. My TV (50" GWII) shows slightly (very slight) increasing color fringing (i.e., the white lines shows green and magenta lines on the left and right of the vertical lines) as you move toward the right side of the TV. Also, on a test pattern with Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up DVD with purplish cross-hatch lines, I notice vertical blue lines and vertical yellow lines to the left and right, respectively, of the vertical lines, at a distance of about 1/8" on each side, and some blue ghost lines just below the horizontal lines.

For other reasons (a green nickel-size circle of pixels that suddenly appeared - most likely caused by dust, per another post here) I decided to swap the TV and used that as an opportunity to go to the store with my DVD and the full AVIA DVD to see how the store TV compared with mine, knowing (as Ed Van Belkom on this forum had told me) that NONE of these TVs is absolutely razor perfect. I could tell from the test patterns that the store TV was better aligned/focused/converged than mine. You cannot adjust convergence or LCD alignment on these TVs as far as I know -- your TV is either built right, or it's slightly off. Since the store TV exhibited better patterns than mine (the blue and yellow lines were very faint, if there at all, and the color fringing was very, very slight, and was equal on the right and left sides, instead of increasing as one moved rightward), I knew that I should expect better of my TV. So, cleaning the dust wouldn't have solved all the problems, so the salesman is swapping my TV (Tweeter at Southlake, Texas -- near Grapevine, north of Dallas/Fort Worth, Hwy 114) -- when they get another 50" to deliver to me.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tweeter says they're going to come out and look at it - I'll keep everyone posted as to what transpires.

Ron

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UUronl
Tweeter says they're going to come out and look at it - I'll keep everyone posted as to what transpires.

Ron
Swap it ... tell them my information in my post above.

Good luck. (I lived in Arlington/Rosslyn 1985-1986).

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will. They said in email that Sony's response is to use the Image Revision (anti-ghosting) and if that didn't work well enough to call them. Ha. I just left a message.

You wouldn't recognize the area - lots of development and change. I'm in Ballston.

Thanks for your help, I hope your new set is perfect.

Ron

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Threw up some more test patterns just to check for consistency across the screen. Results: The left side of the screen is horrible. Center is mild, and the right side of the screen appears to be converged almost perfectly. I'd say at worst I see 1.5 pixels of misconvergence and at best I see zero. I'm going to see what the service tech says and I may drag my DVD player into my local Tweeter to see how their 50" looks.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.