AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Hauppauge HD-PVR on a dedicated PC

(specs Win XP Home SP2 , 2GB RAM, Athlon X2 BE-2400 2.3 GHz, 500GB HDD, on board ATI video (I forgot the model # off hand but it has HDMI and I bought it about a year ago)

The HD-PVR works great, however things seem to get blocky (ESPECIALLY sports). When you pause the capture during playback you can really see it.

What can I do?

also I use the PC and HD-PVR to capture and then I upload it to a different location where I actually watch it from (i.e. 2 PC's one for Capture one for watching). Is there a way to disable the automatic preview window when capturing (I guess this would help - so that all CPU is used for capture)?

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I was wondering if you found any solution for this problem? I seem to be experiencing the same... I have a 6500UB and when watching sports (baseball at the moment), the level of blockiness in the image gets really ridiculous, with movement. It's like watching a video that was shot with extremely low bitrate... like a hand cam filmed movie. And there's some kind of "contour" of shimmering pixels around moving shapes (ball, players), it's kind of hard to explain... it's especially visible when watching in slo-motion.

This is with a Bell Canada HD-PVR connected via high quality Component cables. I've tried changing the PVR output setting between 720P and 1080I but it doesn't make any difference. I've tried pretty much all settings on the projector, but could only get it marginally better by removing all sharpness. I tried FI on all 4 settings, changing Brightness Control, Auto Iris, Contrast Enhancement, Noise Reduction, Setup Level, etc.. all of them.. Still horrible...

I've tried a second HD-PVR (different model), with an HDMI connection, but it's exactly the same.

I initially suspected a crappy feed (too much compression or too low bitrate) from the Satellite provider, but a co-worker with an Epson 1080 projector and the same Satellite provider tells me that his image is super-sharp, and he doesn't see any of the artifacts I describe.

I have the 1.09 firmware.

When playing BluRays with my PS3, I don't have any such problem. The image is excellent.

I didn't have these problems with my previous projector, an Epson Pro Cinema 800 (720P).

This is very disappointing and I'm out of ideas...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry to hear that, but in one regard I'm glad - as I don't feel crazy any more. What you describe is EXACTLY what I see - it's ridiculously blocky, yet BluRay (even sports) is amazing.

I left it for a while, now ironically just today I started to revisit it (in prep for football season). I'm going to try on different projector, etc and try to pinpoint the problem

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Blockiness or Pixelation is with high motion content when the signal provider(cable company) does not have enough bandwidth allocated for high motion programs such as sports. Without enought bandwidth the MPEG2 encoded programs which consist of compressed full frames and partial change frames data are not being fully transmitted so some of the change frames data being received is being applied to the wrong full frame.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I took screen caps of a high def football game played on my computer using the TME software from the HD-PVR. You can see some definate blurriness and in some case extreme blurriness.

The question is though - when I watch this on my LCD (and as I recall prior projectors (e.g. Sanyo Z5)) I didn't have the problem so obvious. However on my 6500UB it's nearly unwatchable.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I have Verizon FIOS is there any way to fix that. i.e. get more bandwidth or something? I don't think I can switch out of my contract. Plus to be honest other than sports everything else is stunning.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 /forum/post/17073045

Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I took screen caps of a high def football game played on my computer using the TME software from the HD-PVR. You can see some definate blurriness and in some case extreme blurriness.

The question is though - when I watch this on my LCD (and as I recall prior projectors (e.g. Sanyo Z5)) I didn't have the problem so obvious. However on my 6500UB it's nearly unwatchable.

Try increasing the recording quality. The issue is artifacts are hard to compress so when your source has artifacts, you need more bitrate on the recording to be able to compress those source artifacts "accurately" without adding more on top.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since it does not happen on your LCD then it does not appear to be a bandwidth problem caused by your cable company. Especially if it is Verizon FIOS.

It then appears to be a problem with your HD-PVR being able to h.264 encode the content fast enough, or to transmit it fast enough over ethernet, or for the computer software in conjunction with your graphics card to process the input fast enough.

What is your CPU uitilization on your PC when the problem occurs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well in my case at least, I'm pretty certain it's the satellite provider that's responsible. It seems to depend on the channel (TSNHD was completely atrocious yesterday, on a football game, it was as if players were on fire and emanating a trail of smoke), while on Sportsnet, baseball, while not perfect, was at least much better.

I've checked on my 42'' LCD TV upstairs, and The Score HD was atrocious too, wasn't even worth of SD, with crazy pixelization...

And, I've asked another friend who has a 50'' TV and the same Bell HD receiver, to check it, and he came to the same conclusions than me. While it's not as obvious on his 50'' screen, he can clearly see the same things as me, and sees the enormous difference between channels.

It's normal that it's much worse on a 100'' projected image like mine...

HD used to be much better I think, but now they seem to be cramming as many channels as they can, so that they can boast that they have "The Most HD", but bandwidth is then split for all channels... and bitrate levels suck.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, I don't think it's the proj/monitor - I think it's the source as I notice it on my 22" LCD - albeir MUCH less so- but I think that's a function of screen size, - i.e. my proj is 120" things are much more obvious than a 22".

But the question is how are some people - with big projector/screens - NOT having this problem - as it's SOOOO obvious - they'd be screaming if they did.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Issue "solved".

Up until now I focused on 2 of the 3 components -assuming the problem must be coming from the computer HD-PVR or from the projector. I assumed that the verizon FIOS feed being touted as the best there is must be fine- plus the picture looks fine.

However yesterday, I viewed the Verizon FIOS via their HD-PVR STB and on my parents 58" DLP RPTV- I watched a college football game on ESPN-HD and via their HD-PVR was able to pause the image- and VIOLA - same broken up image, i.e. if you pause the feed while the action is moving(i.e. during the play) - it's "clear" as day- theplayers are blocky and blurry- looks like a computer sprite for '80's video game.

i.e. the same thing that I noticed on my computer HD-PVR/ Epson projector

The problem is stemming from bad PQ from the feed and the larger the TV/projection - the more it is pronounced. And I guess some TV's/projectors are better at compensating for this poor feed.

NOW my question is - is there anything that I can do to get a better picture from Verzion FIOS?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 /forum/post/17131361

NOW my question is - is there anything that I can do to get a better picture from Verzion FIOS?

Yes. Connect the Verizon HD STB/DVR directly to the projector. You're not going to get the results you want with the Hauppauge HD PVR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.