AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting for the guy that bought this projector for me. Looks like he is having shadowing in dark scenes in the right side of his image. He has tried different cables(i believe he has it hooked up to his pc with vga) and different PC as well and its still doing it. There is a picture attached and you can see it in the grey area. Any information on how to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Need more details:

- Resolution on the PC

- vga or hdmi cable (definitive statement)

- settings on the PJ including if keystone and sharpness are being used

This info will be a good start

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I am assuming you're talking about the vertical lines of interference.

These could be results of:

1.) Scaling - make sure your computer is set the native res of the hd65 (1280x720). Along with this, make sure the projector is set for 1:1 pixel mapping.

2.) VGA - If you're using vga and not hdmi, this could be the result of analog interference. This is a common thing experienced with vga and usually requires timing/clock adjustments on the projector end to adjust for this interference.

3.) Keystoning can cause something similar (since it is essentially scaling digitally). Though, in my experience this type of interference pattern is usually crosshatched not vertical.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm trying to get more details from the guy but he seems to be busy a lot. I dont think he's pretty knowledgeable with projectors as well. I'll keep you guys updated when I find more details.. One thing that was weird though is how he said it just shows up on one side of the projector.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got more info.. PJ was set to native resolution 1280x720, -1 keystone, 15sharpness, refreshrate 59hz 60hz.. He hasn't tried any other inputs other than VGA. He says he has no other source to plug into the projector. It started 3 weeks ago and has gotten worse. 454 bulb hours half in bright mode half in standard mode. He tried 3 different computers and 3 different cables and still doing it. Think this is a defect I can request from optoma?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
The problem is most likely coming from the PC. That's why I asked for all the rez data from the PC - resolution and frequencies.

Set the keystone and sharpness to zero.

Plug another source in besides the pc to compare. I think you will find it's the pc causing the problem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well he tried 3 different PCs and a Mac and it was still doing it. Tried different cables and still doing it. So it sounds like the projector itself.. I told him to hook something else up to it other than VGA but he said he doesn't have anything else to hook it up to.. But I called optoma today and filled out an RMA form and forwarded them a receipt. Hopefully they don't give me any problems because this was a refurbished projector..

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay² /forum/post/15540273

Got more info.. PJ was set to native resolution 1280x720, -1 keystone, 15sharpness, refreshrate 59hz 60hz.. He hasn't tried any other inputs other than VGA. He says he has no other source to plug into the projector. It started 3 weeks ago and has gotten worse. 454 bulb hours half in bright mode half in standard mode. He tried 3 different computers and 3 different cables and still doing it. Think this is a defect I can request from optoma?

set it to 60 hz, set keystoning off, and set sharpness as high as you can go before getting halo's/ringing (sorry but pet pieve of mine when people state to always turn it off).

Since it is also running over vga, you should have possibly two options in the menu's, one titled clock, and another timing or tracking...etc. Adjust those using the patterns below until you get a crisp image in all three levels:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay² /forum/post/15545532

Well he tried 3 different PCs and a Mac and it was still doing it. Tried different cables and still doing it. So it sounds like the projector itself.. I told him to hook something else up to it other than VGA but he said he doesn't have anything else to hook it up to which I highly doubt.. But I called optoma today and filled out an RMA form and forwarded them a receipt. Hopefully they don't give me any problems because this was a refurbished projector..

No need to return, the new one will do the same. Its a common problem with vga/scaling and keystoning. Hence why they moved to dvi and then hdmi.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Jarrod sent the guy an email of what you said and the image. Hopefully it fixes it i'll let you know...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay² /forum/post/15549063

thanks Jarrod sent the guy an email of what you said and the image. Hopefully it fixes it i'll let you know...

Ok, it should work. But take note, that if you still get bad results, you may need to change the refresh to something else, if supported. I just came froma friends house who still uses vga. In order for me to fix it, i had to change his refresh to 70 hz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My setup PS3 > Onkyo AVR > HD65 via HDMI. Keystone is +/-3 not sure.

PJ bought in Apr '08 with about approx 50hrs on original lamp
, not sure. (PJ is in a 2nd home, hence the low usage)

I started having shadow running the entire lenght of the right side while watching SD-DVDs via PS3 using hdmi about 3-4wks ago, was ok prior to that. It does not happen while watching BD-DVDs thru same setup.

I watch BDs 98% of the time, so not too bothered, will quickly be a big problem should it progress to all formats.

PJ is setup hanging (very well secured) from ceiling in basement directly below family room. We have an 11month old, who just discovered she can walk and trying to run a.s.a.p., and she falls on her butt quite a bit. Guess diaper not absorbing enough
cos I see the shake on the screen the few times I've been down in the basement using PJ when that happens. Note that the PJ bracked is secured very tightly to the ceiling.

Could the shaking from above be (or have) messing with the PJ Optics?

Haven't used this PJ in over a wk, I'll connect the PS3 directly to PJ (and also the TV) bypassing the AVR, to see what happens.

Sorry for the long story, but thought I'll give you the full scenerio.

Would be interesting to see how the other guys problem gets fixed.

Thx and looking forward to your answers and response.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just noticed that your example picture has uneven color. The interference i speak off should only cause uneven sharpness.

So, i have a new question:

Does this interference show up in the projectors menu? On other inputs? Or is it just on the pc connected via vga?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 /forum/post/15553062

I just noticed that your example picture has uneven color. The interference i speak off should only cause uneven sharpness.

So, i have a new question:

Does this interference show up in the projectors menu? On other inputs? Or is it just on the pc connected via vga?

Didn't ask the guy if the interference shows up in the menu.. I'm helping out the guy that bought this projector from me. The guy didnt have anything else to hook up to the projector other than this computer so dont know if it shows up at any other input. He only has his computer which is hooked up through VGA...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts