AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I am new here.

I have a GI/Motorola DSR922 HDTV Satellite receiver and just purchased a GI/Motorola HDD200 HDTV Decoder (which I could still return)... trying to get HDTV on my new projector (Boxlite/Studio Experience 13HD).

My problem is trying to accomplish over-the-air local HDTV broadcasts. I am certainly able to get High Def HBO, but the HDD200 only gets high definition over its MMAP port, and the 4DTV receiver (which I like) does not tune off-air broadcasts.

My thoughts are that what I need is an HDTV Tuner perhaps like the Samsung SIR-T150 tuner. Is there a good HDTV Decoder that can handle multiple RF's, or the MMAP high speed data output from my 4DTV unit?

Also, am I correct in assuming that HDTV can not be decoded from a Composite Video or S-Video output?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks!

Bryan.

· Registered
95 Posts
Right, the HDD-200/201 only gets its digital signal through the high speed data input connector. It won't do OTA digital. I'm in the same boat, and am now also looking for a digital tuner.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I am now thinking (presuming) that I could get a Samsung SIR-T151 Tuner/HDTV Decoder and drive it from the RF modulated output of the 4DTV Receiver.

If I'm right, then when the 4DTV is turned on, it will tune to the appropriate Sat (HDTV) channel and provide a down-converted, RF modulated output (intended to drive a TV RF input), tuned to channel 3. The Samsung unit would then be tuned to CH 3, and should therefore process the HDTV signal.

When the 4DTV unit is turned off, it passes the external RF antenna feed (un-modulated) directly to the very same RF output, intended to drive the same TV. At which point, I'd use the tuner portion of the Samsung to tune to whatever OTA transmission.

I guess the big unknown here is if the 4DTV unit is doing something to the RF modulated output, that would preclude the Samsung from believing that the signal is HDTV encoded.

Wish me luck, please. What an experience.... I think I might be depriving a village somewhere, of an idiot.

Anyone want to buy a HDD20 decoder?

Bryan

· Registered
57 Posts
Not going to work that way BryanD. The HD signal will not be transmitted down the rf out. And the Hd200 does not downconvert a HD signal down the rf output either. It will downconvert out the component outputs though if you move the switch in the back to say..480p.

Why would you have to get rid of the hdd200? Wouldn't an off air tuner just complement it? I'm not sure though why you wouldn't just run your antenna feed into your (if you buy it) Samsung OTA tuner? Are you running your antenna feed into your 4dtv? If so, just curious as to why.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I tune the 4DTV to a High-def channel, I do see the video (un-intelligible) on a regular TV set. This is what makes me think the 4DTV is passing this RF (down-converted from C Band) to its RF modulated output. So the hi-def picture just looks like huge panels of portions of the picture that's out-of-sync.

However, you may still be right, in that the modulated RF is "screwed-up" such that the Samsung may not be able to tune and process it.

Man, am I ever pregnant. As for your questions....

a) if I can get the Samsung to do the work of 2 units, then I don't need 1 of them.

b) if I have to use both, then I'll have to get some sort of component video switch. If I rip apart the living room, again - I'll have to contend with the war department.

Where else can a guy get so much fun and it still be legal.

· Registered
60 Posts
BryanD:

Try www.hdtvmax.com

He sometimes sells the Korean Integra IT910S,which you can slave to your Mot 922 and receive local HD OTA, digital and analog channels and some FTA HD, as well as hundreds of FTA MPEG2/DVB c and ku band channels, using your 922 to control dish position and polarity.

Perfect complement to the DSR 922 and HDD 200.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.