AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions that I know most of you have answers to, so please throw me a bone.

I currently have a (very) old Dish Network receiver/sat system that's obviously not capable or designed to receive HDTV. I want to upgrade to a dish system that will resolve this problem - either DirectTV or Dish Network - just not sure on a few things:

First, if I upgrade to an HDTV-capable receiver and dish system, what will this allow me to view in HD? I mean, I know CBS and the other major networks all broadcast some of their shows in HD, so if I get this setup will I then be able to receive their HD signals? I live in Oconto, Wisconsin (area code 54153), and I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if it depends on where the network feeds are out of. If I can't get the networks HD signals using a dish, am I then limited to their limited number of HD channels? If so, do you have any recommendations. I already have a new Toshiba 50H81 HDTV monitor, just looking for it's perfect compliments.

Assuming I can't receive network HDTV using a dish/HDTV receiver setup, is my only option to use an OTA antenna. If so, how much do these typically cost and where can I get them?

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to these many questions and am optimistic the AVS faithful can shed some light on this subject to help out a newbie.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
First, if I upgrade to an HDTV-capable receiver and dish system, what will this allow me to view in HD?
With Dish, HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, PPV-HD and maybe some other channels. With DirecTV, HBO-HD, HD-Net (sports & other programming) and maybe some other channels.

Quote:
I mean, I know CBS and the other major networks all broadcast some of their shows in HD, so if I get this setup will I then be able to receive their HD signals?
Here's where the "maybe" part comes in. If you qualify, you might be able to get CBS-HD from Dish. If you have local stations in your area broadcasting in digital and you are close enough to the tower, then there is a chance you can receive those channels using an antenna.

Quote:
Assuming I can't receive network HDTV using a dish/HDTV receiver setup, is my only option to use an OTA antenna. If so, how much do these typically cost and where can I get them?
Search this forum. Radio Shack is usually the first recommendation. BTW, you will still need a receiver (satellite or OTA only).

-Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.