AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I guess this TV is 5-6 years old. The other day it just shut off for about a second then came back on. My wife and son said this now has happened multiple times to them. They describe the color going "weird" and then it cycles off and on.

I'm not expecting somebody to say "here's your problem and how to fix it". I would just hope that somebody could give me an idea and point me in the right direction. I live in a small midwest town and haven't checked yet to see if there are any qualified techs in the area.

I also need to consider cost of repair. With the age of this TV, how much money would I be willing to spend on it before deciding to just get a new TV?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just noticed the colors are flickering quite a bit. It'll go from normal to having a green cast. My son also said that the pic looked like it was shaking a bit.

On the downside, I don't really want to spend money on a new TV at the moment.

On the upside, I might be getting a new TV.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hello Jerry,

I'm having the same problem as you are on my 57F59. After the TV is on for about 15 minutes, the screen goes through a variety of colors then blooms from a soft white then to a brilliant white and then powers off on it's own.

I took out a service contract with GE about three years ago, thank goodness and my service provider has order a signal board and deflection board.

Hopefully this resolves the issue, since I really prefer watching movies on my Hitachi then my Samsug 52" LCD. My Hitachi brings more of a theater picture quality, where the Samsung is so darn picture perfect sharp, it's just to detailed at times.

Just to let you know I keep an hour log on my equipment and my 57F59 only as 768 hours in total. To me, that's very disappointing, since the TV should have lasted longer then 700+ hours. I guess it's bad on the TV to only watch it a few hours per week and cycle the equipment on and off after only a few hours at a time.

If you have no service contract, you're probably looking at least $600.00 dollars to fix your TV.

My TV should be up and running again within a week or so and I'll let you know how my service provider did in relation to repairing my TV set.

Randy

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Even though I hate the thought of buying another TV since this one is only 6 years old, I also hate the thought of putting too much money into it. Especially considering the prices of new TVs at the moment.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably at least get a quote to repair your rear projection, and if the cost is above your set goal you want to spend on a six year old set, then go purchase a LCD set.

With the LED and 3D sets on the horizon, LCD's will go down even further in price.

Good luck,

Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts