AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I picked up a Logitech Harmony 880 remote to finally retire the slew of other remote controls that I have for my TV, audio, etc... The software for this thing is awful and it just won't work well with my Hitachi 57F510 rear projection CRT TV.

Because of this I set out to find the discrete commands for selecting inputs, controlling power, etc. and I'm doing pretty well. I'm using a Palm with some remote software and I've figured out how to generate the Pronto codes for all 256 possible commands on this TV.

So now I have the Palm setup with these commands, and I'm trying them one by one. I get to the command 9E and the screen goes into a "Magic Focus" type screen, except that the center of the screen says "INITIAL:N". Since then my convergence has sucked and no amount of "Magic Focus" will correct it.

See my samples here:

Link-> Onscreen Display (top right of screen) - 89kB

Link-> Convergence Grid - 1000kB

Here is a capture of this INITIAL:N on my TV:

Link-> INITIAL:N - 9250kB

I'm hoping someone familiar with Hitachi TV's knows what I've done and how I can correct this.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You've entered a Service command instead of the usual user command. It's initializing the Magic Focus settings. The good news is that the initialization worked since you got the green dots at the end of the routine. What was the command supposed to do? You may have to perform DCAM to get your convergence back. Time to look around for a service manual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that I didn't break the set... Just wondering how much fun I'm going to have trying to set the TV back up.

With my luck, all the factory tweaked settings in the service menu have been reset to "midpoint". I can't even begin to guess what some of those adjustments do.

That's a BIG thread regarding DCAM and convergence. Guess I'll be reading for a bit.

As for what the command was supposed to do? I assume it did just what it should. The Palm is just programmed for commands from 00 to FF.

I've found several odd commands, like "Channel +8", "Color 100%", "Split screen and put both to channel 14".

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorton /forum/post/0

I know that I didn't break the set... Just wondering how much fun I'm going to have trying to set the TV back up.

With my luck, all the factory tweaked settings in the service menu have been reset to "midpoint". I can't even begin to guess what some of those adjustments do.

That's a BIG thread regarding DCAM and convergence. Guess I'll be reading for a bit.

As for what the command was supposed to do? I assume it did just what it should. The Palm is just programmed for commands from 00 to FF.

I've found several odd commands, like "Channel +8", "Color 100%", "Split screen and put both to channel 14".

Thanks!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=790702

If you want to skip cruising the BIG F59 thread for DCAM info, try the link above. Takes you to a F59 "tweaks" thread I started. From there, you can get the link for the downloadable F59 DIY Guide put together by Livin over @ the BIG thread.

Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've got my convergence set up but there is less overscan than before. This is causing a noticable distortion on the upper and lower left corners of the screen.

I don't expect a RP TV to be perfect in the corners, but this is pretty bad. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorton /forum/post/0

Well, I've got my convergence set up but there is less overscan than before. This is causing a noticable distortion on the upper and lower left corners of the screen.

I don't expect a RP TV to be perfect in the corners, but this is pretty bad. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Get a screen jig (the mylar or vellum paper overlay). It has the correct DCAM grid pattern printed on it and is used by service techs. When placed over the screen, you can use the jig pattern to line up your green DCAM crosshatch, then you simply line red/blue up to the corrected green. Should virually eliminate any and all geometry errors. Might be a bit time consuming, but well worth it.

There a a few online sources for these. Some have posted over on the F59 tweaks thread a "homemade" version made from the measurements listed in the service manual. Lee Bailey found a source out of Canada (and posted a link) that makes them as well. Either of those are a tad less expensive than the "real" Hitachi jig, but apparently work just as well.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunks67 /forum/post/0

Will a service tech come out and fix geometry issues?

-Funk

I would think so. May or may not be considered a real warranty issue, though. Depends on the tech and what he may be willing to tell Hitachi in order to get paid for his services. Worst $$-case scenario is you have to pay the local guy yourself for geo. fixes.

Or get your set ISF calibrated. I know Mr Bob does geo. fixes as part of his service (if needed)

Now, how well will the local tech "fix" it is another question. However, if the tech has a screen jig and the service manual, it's pretty easily explained as to what needs to be done (isolate and align green with the jig mounted on the screen then line up red/blue to corrected green). The service manual does recommend doing the screen jig/geo. fix after replacing parts such as one or more of the CRT guns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.