AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a new home and need help with speaker placement. I have a 75" Samsung that I'll be hanging above the fireplace. The tv is 39.6 inches tall and the space between the mantle and the vaulted ceiling is 40". There is no room to put a center channel above or below the tv without mounting the speaker on the ceiling (don't like). I have the Boston Acoustics A 2310 5.1 speaker package (bookshelf speakers). I had a couple ideas, but not sure whats best. First idea was to buy two center channel speakers and mount them to the right and left of the tv, then mount the front left and right speakers further to the right and left. I've heard of doing a phantom center but wasn't sure how that would sound since the speakers are small. Another thought I had was to buy nice floor standing speakers and do a phantom center channel with hopes that more speakers in the floor standing model might help with the sound.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
I've just purchased a new home and need help with speaker placement. I have a 75" Samsung that I'll be hanging above the fireplace. The tv is 39.6 inches tall and the space between the mantle and the vaulted ceiling is 40". There is no room to put a center channel above or below the tv without mounting the speaker on the ceiling (don't like). I have the Boston Acoustics A 2310 5.1 speaker package (bookshelf speakers). I had a couple ideas, but not sure whats best. First idea was to buy two center channel speakers and mount them to the right and left of the tv, then mount the front left and right speakers further to the right and left. I've heard of doing a phantom center but wasn't sure how that would sound since the speakers are small. Another thought I had was to buy nice floor standing speakers and do a phantom center channel with hopes that more speakers in the floor standing model might help with the sound.

Since you have no room for above or below placement for a center.
I would definitely go phantom and forget about 2 center on the left and right side.

A quick look at the picture show the distance from the left of the window and the right of the door to be about the same.

If it is the case, your option can go from towers or bookshelf mounted on the wall at the appropriate distance.

That way your picture is center to your speakers and should work fine as long your sitting area is close to a direct line to the center of your screen.

If way off, a center help to bring the sound to the center of the tv.
But your stereo image suffer, no free lunch if you get what I mean.

Ray

·
Registered
605 Posts
You have options:

Phantom center
Smaller tv to allow for a center channel below it
Move the mantle lower (this is what I would do)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts