AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the situation. I'll be getting a new computer soon and I want to hook it up to my home theater system in addition to the pc monitor. My desk is 25ft away from my tv but I will have to go around the sides of the room to reach it resulting in probably needing a 50ft cable. From what I understand there is no way a dvi to hdmi cable will carry that signal that far. What are my options if there are any?

Here is what I am thinking, but realize I don't have any experience with this sort of thing. Plug a dvi/hdmi converter to the back of my pc and run a 50ft hdmi cable to my tv for the picture and a 50ft digital coaxial cable (i think that's what its called. the orange colored one) to my receiver for audio. If the hdmi wouldn't work at 50ft, could I get two 25ft cables and join them with a hdmi repeater? Does digital audio degrade over distance like video or is the video all that I will have trouble with?

Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesin31 /forum/post/16999659

Ok, here's the situation. I'll be getting a new computer soon and I want to hook it up to my home theater system in addition to the pc monitor. My desk is 25ft away from my tv but I will have to go around the sides of the room to reach it resulting in probably needing a 50ft cable. From what I understand there is no way a dvi to hdmi cable will carry that signal that far. What are my options if there are any?

Here is what I am thinking, but realize I don't have any experience with this sort of thing. Plug a dvi/hdmi converter to the back of my pc and run a 50ft hdmi cable to my tv for the picture and a 50ft digital coaxial cable (i think that's what its called. the orange colored one) to my receiver for audio. If the hdmi wouldn't work at 50ft, could I get two 25ft cables and join them with a hdmi repeater? Does digital audio degrade over distance like video or is the video all that I will have trouble with?

Thanks

HDMI is often considered an "all or nothing" connection due to it being digital. At 50 ft you are right at the maximum recommended length for a HDMI signal. A difference of a foot or two can make all the difference weather a signal will be there or not. I'd say try the straight run first from the PC to the TV to see if it will work.

Also, if you don't have not purchased the cables yet, I highly recommend checking out monoprice.com. Great company and great prices. (And an AVSForum sponsor, too)

·
Registered
19,040 Posts
In the end you might have to move your PC closer to your display (or vice-versa) but if not possible you quite possibly might be able to get by on a longer cable with just a repeater.

As recommended, check out the HTPC forum, as they know more about this sort of thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts