AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the situation. I'll be getting a new computer soon and I want to hook it up to my home theater system in addition to the pc monitor. My desk is 25ft away from my tv but I will have to go around the sides of the room to reach it resulting in probably needing a 50ft cable. From what I understand there is no way a dvi to hdmi cable will carry that signal that far. What are my options if there are any?

Here is what I am thinking, but realize I don't have any experience with this sort of thing. Plug a dvi/hdmi converter to the back of my pc and run a 50ft hdmi cable to my tv for the picture and a 50ft digital coaxial cable (i think that's what its called. the orange colored one) to my receiver for audio. If the hdmi wouldn't work at 50ft, could I get two 25ft cables and join them with a hdmi repeater? Does digital audio degrade over distance like video or is the video all that I will have trouble with?

Thanks

·
Registered
768 Posts
People have had luck with 50ft HDMI cables in the past, I use a 35 monoprice cable and don't have any issues. You could also send HDMI via CAT5e, not sure how much $$$ you're willing to spend to solve your issue.

·
Registered
332 Posts
monoprice.com is your friend. NEVER BUY CABLE @ BIG BOX STORES.

after a quick google, seems like hdmi repeaters work rather well. here is a review on a random repeater.

@monoprice.com is a cheap repeater with lots of positive customer reviews.

get a couple of cables from there and you should be good to go for less then $50.

EDIT: ok, not less then $50, but ~$75

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You mention three things a PC monitor a TV and a HTS, I assume your trying to hook up your PC to your TV and use it as a monitor. Can't you just hook up your HDMI from your PC to your receiver and run another cable to the TV from the receiver?

But it sounds like you may have an older system with no HDMI if I'm guessing right. You will also have to run some kind of sound cable to your receiver most likely an optical. But if it's analog you will need the Creative cable for the three outputs in the back of your PC and then run it to your receiver's analog multichannel inputs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.