AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So I am new to the forum and have been trying to do my research for my new home theater set up. I am basically starting out entry level but I am needing a little help.

I have an Onkyo HT-R160 7.1 receiver which has 5HDMI inputs and 1HDMI output. I have purchased an Epson 8350 projector and 110" fixed frame screen. I will be using the projector for sports, movies, etc. but to save bulb life I planed on also mounting a 43" plasma in the same room.

I want to be able to use the plasma for all of the components that will be hooked up to the receiver (cable, BD player, Xbox 360, etc) so my thought was that I could buy a 1:2 splitter and connect it to the Output from the receiver. Then run one HDMI to projector and other to TV.

Would this work?? If so any suggestions on what brand splitter to buy?

Thanks for all your help!!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd3209  /t/1488400/help-how-to-connect-plasma-and-projector-with-onkyo-ht-rc160-receiver#post_23684339

Hey Guys,

So I am new to the forum and have been trying to do my research for my new home theater set up. I am basically starting out entry level but I am needing a little help.

I have an Onkyo HT-R160 7.1 receiver which has 5HDMI inputs and 1HDMI output. I have purchased an Epson 8350 projector and 110" fixed frame screen. I will be using the projector for sports, movies, etc. but to save bulb life I planed on also mounting a 43" plasma in the same room.

I want to be able to use the plasma for all of the components that will be hooked up to the receiver (cable, BD player, Xbox 360, etc) so my thought was that I could buy a 1:2 splitter and connect it to the Output from the receiver. Then run one HDMI to projector and other to TV.

Would this work?? If so any suggestions on what brand splitter to buy?

Thanks for all your help!!

HDMI splitters definitely work. They generally end up making both devices appear to the source as if their resolution is the lower resolution of the two, if they are different. Check out the native resolution of the projector and the LCD, and see what consequences this will have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!

So if the plasma is 720p and the projector is 1080p.. the best resolution I will get on both will be 720p?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd3209  /t/1488400/help-how-to-connect-plasma-and-projector-with-onkyo-ht-rc160-receiver#post_23684379

Thanks!!

So if the plasma is 720p and the projector is 1080p.. the best resolution I will get on both will be 720p?

Yes, that is the likely outcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there a possible solution where I don't lose picture quality?

I think the receiver has up-scaling so would that make a difference? or what about an amplified splitter?

Again thanks for the input!! I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this stuff out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.