AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony VAIO XL201 htpc running MCE XP

My problem is it almost never plays back any commercial DVD which means I cant ditch my standalone DVD player.

It says copy protection detected and wont play the DVD.

Is there a solution for this? I am not trying to copy the DVD just play it back. Do I need to hook up an external DVD drive or can I make this work.

I am in the UK but everything is UK spec (Region 2) so shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for any advice or pointers.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed /forum/post/14250856

I have a Sony VAIO XL201 htpc running MCE XP

My problem is it almost never plays back any commercial DVD which means I cant ditch my standalone DVD player.

It says copy protection detected and wont play the DVD.

Is there a solution for this? I am not trying to copy the DVD just play it back. Do I need to hook up an external DVD drive or can I make this work.

I am in the UK but everything is UK spec (Region 2) so shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for any advice or pointers.

Go to your device manager from Control Panel/System/Hardware and find your

DVD drive and check the Property/DVD Region settings to see if it is set to your Region. If not, set it to your Region if the firmware allows you. Otherwise you may have to flash the firmware of the DVD drive.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychou /forum/post/14250925

Go to your device manager from Control Panel/System/Hardware and find your

DVD drive and check the Property/DVD Region settings to see if it is set to your Region. If not, set it to your Region if the firmware allows you. Otherwise you may have to flash the firmware of the DVD drive.

Or just install AnyDvd and you can play every disk regardless of the region coding

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The region coding is definitely 2. What does flashing the firmware mean? Thx

So if you AnyDVD is running in the background the HTPC should be able to playback anything?

·
Registered
624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed /forum/post/14251889

So if you AnyDVD is running in the background the HTPC should be able to playback anything?

yes, regardless of region or copy protection

1 - 5 of 5 Posts