AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this issue since I don't know what the culrpit is, but I'll try to keep this brief. I'm a 35YO PC Tech and have never seen anything like this. Just built my first HTPC in July.

Here's some of the components:

- Asus P4P800-VM Micro-ATX Motherboard (Rev 1.05, BIOS 1007)

- Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz, 800FSB

- Windows XP Pro (SP-1 with all the latest critical updates installed)

- 1024MB RAM: Two Crucial 512MB PC3200 (400MHz) 184-pin DIMMs (running in Dual-Channel mode)

- ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 3D Graphics Card (128MB, Retail) w/Catalyst 3.7

- ATI HDTV Component Adapter

- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card (w/latest drivers)

- Maxtor 160GB hard drive (7200RPM, 8MB Cache, Ultra ATA/133)

- Enermax 350 Watt Dual-Fan Power Supply (EG365P-VE FCA)

Here's the problem:

When playing a 3D game such as UT2003, GTA: Vice City, Half-Life, NOLF2, or RtCW, my screen will go all-black and then I'll either hear repeating high-pitched static followed by a high-pitch squeal, or I'll hear a 1-second clip of the last sound I heard in the game (like guns firing) followed by the same high-pitched squeal.

This only happens intermittantly, can happen at any time, and only in 3D games, not 2D apps in Windows.

I checked the temps and the CPU and mobo are always under 110F.

I ran Memtest on the RAM and it passed all 10 run-throughs.

I've tried older versions of Catalyst including 3.2 through 3.6.

NAV2003 with latest defs says no viruses.

Any other things I can try???? I can't quite pinpoint the culprit and it's driving me nuts! :confused:

-- Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you swapped out the video and sound cards with replacements, and with other brands? Run without the sound card in?

Switch around the PCI slots that the sound card is in?

Most likely one of the two cards is the culprit, since the problem only occurs in 3d games (requiring the 3d GPU and the sound card at the same time)

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks zen313, good idea, however I don't have any replacements in which to test with. My other PC's have video and sound on-board. I did try switching PCI slots for the Audigy 2, no luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.