AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my DVC15 out of my box, and it slipped after I removed all the screws. One of the plastic pieces that hold the speaker terminals was broken. I tried to use super glue, but it didn't hold. Any ideas? Here's a picture:

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12927494

JB weld, just make sure you let it set overnight. my radiator is being held together with the stuff

Umm...

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
oh yeah, the stuff's incredible, we use it on the farm all the time. Its even been used to repair cracked engine blocks on heavy machinery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard of jb weld, but I didn't think a small application like this would be a good use. It's just a small piece of plastic. Can you get JB weld at places like Home Depot, or is there some kind of specialty store I need to go to?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12928310

oh yeah, the stuff's incredible, we use it on the farm all the time. Its even been used to repair cracked engine blocks on heavy machinery.
and I thought using that glass repair stuff on windsheilds due to rock chips was bad.

Ok, how did you crack a Cat, international, cummins, ect...engine block?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12928372

home depot, autozone, heck I think even wal-mart might have it.

Thanks. So, it's my best bet fixing this little piece of plastic?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
epoxy should work well too. JB weld is good also though. I think they have a plastic specific version. If you do JB, get it at Autozone.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
They have it at WallyWorld too. I used some to fix an alternator bracket on my truck. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/12928438

:

Severe overheating or lack of antifreeze in the winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up some epoxy over at the Depot. It mixes as you squeeze it out, so I figured it would be easier. I hope it works.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/12928438

and I thought using that glass repair stuff on windsheilds due to rock chips was bad.

http://www.locknstitch.com/cummins_d...nforcement.htm

Observe all the links to the stuff on the right hand side, it happens

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/show...75&postcount=3

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/280395/7/pehj0050.pdf

they even make a discrepancy about not honoring core refunds for blocks that are cracked, it happens a whole lot more than you'd think. I have worked on projects where these massive beefy engines have thrown rods, cracked the blocks, you name it, the stuff takes a lot of abuse and its EXPENSIVE when it breaks because downtime is expensive.

Semi's can get broken blocks as well, they are no different, if the cooling gets messed up somehow, the block is gonna hate you. I have also heard of instances where compression builds up in an engine and causes it to crack.

One of the tractors on our farm broke a hole in its radiator and the engine rapidly overheated, the block cracked and caused the fan smack against the frame, this launched one of the blades straight at my uncles face, taking out his left eye. I saw the whole thing from about 20 feet away, it happened in about 10 seconds. Ironically, the tractor was an international, funny you should mention that.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Superglue it back together! Just don’t go sniffing the glue, okay.

What way did you remove it, was it in a vertical position because you need to be very careful because it can just slip when the last screw is holding it.

Or you should place you’re knee on the very edge of it, just as you’re removing the last screw. Best way with these smaller subs is to place it upside down then, remove all the screws, and then lift it out gently.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
he said he already tried super glue. Super glue is nowhere near the strength of most epoxies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/12932481

What way did you remove it, was it in a vertical position because you need to be very careful because it can just slip when the last screw is holding it.

Or you should place you're knee on the very edge of it, just as you're removing the last screw. Best way with these smaller subs is to place it upside down then, remove all the screws, and then lift it out gently.

I'll be doing this everytime from now on.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan /forum/post/12932810

he said he already tried super glue. Super glue is nowhere near the strength of most epoxies.

What about (liquid nails) that's fairly strong.

LOL This is glue. Strong stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS /forum/post/12933111

I'll be doing this everytime from now on.

Sorry to hear about the miss fortune, the first time I loaded a huge JBL 2240H it weighed like a fire extinguisher, flipping heavy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the epoxy isn't holding either. I guess it's just the type of plastic that glue won't bond with. The epoxy says it works on some types of plastic.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
What about hotmelt glue from a glue gun? Some of the better stuff is plenty strong. Barring that, get a drill bit, pop that rivet out, make a new piece of plastic to mount the terminals and rivet it back on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You probably need more epoxy. Don't try to use it like glue and use a little bit to hold the two pieces together. Use a ton of the stuff. If there's room, try to completely encase the broken part as much as you can, and make sure the epoxy is making contact to as many surfaces of the fixed part as possible too. Sanding both parts with really coarse sandpaper will really help the stuff bond as well.

If for some reason that doesn't work, you can get a tiny bit and drill a few pinholes in each part. This will let the epoxy flow into the holes and help it grip.

JB Weld should work, but a 2 part acrylic adhesive would be better for plastic. It probably won't actually say "epoxy" on the label though. It's a lot runnier than JB Weld, so it usually comes in a tandem syringe. Look for a container shaped like this:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=49&plid=517

You should be able to find it at Home Depot. Don't worry about getting this exact product since you probably won't find it. Just look for something in a similar container that either says it's acrylic or says it's made for plastics.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts