AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to thank the people of the academy/ forum for the great picture I am getting. Also Mark, Curt, JB for offering to build me a vga adapter and everybody who has helped me through these rough interlaced days. Now I have a different kind of problem. I can not stop playing with the settings. It is getting to the point to where I can not sit through a movie without trying to better converge the picture, adjust the color, brightness,etc. Am I the only obsessive projection fan or are there others like me? Maybe we could start a projectionist anonymous group. maybe it should be called avs anonymous.

Hi! my name is heinrich and I am addicted to tweeking my projector.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
welcome to the club! My wife can't stand to watch a movie with me. I have resorted to sitting on my hands :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, I'll get back to you when I've finished tweaking my Pj... My wife thinks I'm mad (she can't appreciate the modest quality changes through improved convergence) and now the dogs just look at me as if they recognize that I am drifting into..... burble... dribble.....

Friar

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel better now. For a minute there I thought I was the only one.

Once you have seen the light of truth, you can not accept anything less.

·
Registered
145 Posts
sometimes I am desperately waiting for my wife to go to the loo that meanwhile I can make some adjustments to the picture...

She doesn't see any difference when she comes back but I am glad I did it :D

Yes, I am infected twice: Collecting DVD and tweaking my whole HT. Don't beat me, but yesterday I couldn't stand to buy a new pj just to have both: CRT and DILA, the DILA was so cheap...

What my wife said about it?

"You are mad."

"But we have a pj"

"Wasn't the picture great" - "Er, Yes."

"For what?" - "Er. Sometimes bigger picture?" - "You are mad."

"Where do you want to put the new one?" - "I will figure out"

"I liked the old one" - "Er- I will keep it"

"Why 2???"

"You are mad."

Thankfully she got used to know that I am mad and she does not get angry about all this, she just thinks that I am mad and nothing can help me except buying and tweaking new equipment.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I find it physically impossible to watch a movie without tweaking the PJ. My better half seems to think it's cute....I wonder how long that'll last? ;)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Think aboput how far I have gone,and will continue to go. Don't feel so bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How strange! I have friends come over to watch a movie or watch a hockey game and I see so many little flaws, that afterwards I have to do tweaking. I feel better that there are others out there that have the same problem

Tman:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
your not alone. My roomates, both of whom are women, think I'm completely obsesed or posessed! The sad part is when I upgraded to a projector that could handle line doubling, they didn't notice the difference. Well at least I'm happy :D

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Quote:
women...they didn't notice the difference
I ask and ask and ask..."can you tell a difference?" I don't quit until I get a yes...THAT makes me feel better :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yea, they can never the difference, but ask the can they tell the difference betwen 7'' and 8'' and , Oh yea ,they can tell......... Tube I meant, of course. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am already saving to buy a bigger, better pj. Would the madness ever stop or I am destined to tweek for eternity?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yeah, but let's keep things in perspective...you could be an audiophile. My upgrades in projectors from a 2020 to a 1030 to a 1252 have cost far less than some people spend on a pair of interconnects. Tweeking your projector results in visible, measurable improvements in picture quality. Putting MPingo Disks on your CD player is a matter of faith (and possibly self-delusion), but the value of getting the linearity of your grid accurate can be judged by anyone with a tape measure!

I need better speakers and I know it. I don't even have DTS yet. But tweeking the projector doesn't cost me anything except time...and this is a hobby anyway.

My wife does notice the difference as I tweek the projector...even without prompting. But then, when we used to share a house with an audiophile friend, she could notice the difference between two head amps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.