AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made TWO online purchases of two different TVs that were on major sale (Canadian Black Friday).

500$ - Toshiba 50L1350UC (Same as 50L1350U I assume)

620$ - LG 50LN5310

Whether it is amazon reviews based on US models like the ##L135U, or ##LN5300, or retailer websites, all the results are FREAKING confusing. Some state 120hz clear motion, some state 120hz refresh rate + 240 clear motion, some state 60hz 120 clear motion. I can't get a consistent result!!

If both products are 60hz with 120 clear motion, then fine I accept that. It's only for a secondary TV and I'll just pick the Toshiba as it is much cheaper.

So, you pros, you knowledgeable guys, can you decode the marketing gimmick?

edit: Removed the urgency comment. I discovered that Amazon offers free RETURN shipping if I choose not to keep the Toshiba.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insthink  /t/1502460/help-i-cant-figure-out-if-true-120hz-or-not/0_40#post_24009736

I just made TWO online purchases of two different TVs that were on major sale (Canadian Black Friday).

500$ - Toshiba 50L1350UC (Same as 50L1350U I assume)

620$ - LG 50LN5310

Whether it is amazon reviews based on US models like the ##L135U, or ##LN5300, or retailer websites, all the results are FREAKING confusing. Some state 120hz clear motion, some state 120hz refresh rate + 240 clear motion, some state 60hz 120 clear motion. I can't get a consistent result!!

If both products are 60hz with 120 clear motion, then fine I accept that. It's only for a secondary TV and I'll just pick the Toshiba as it is much cheaper.

So, you pros, you knowledgeable guys, can you decode the marketing gimmick?

edit: Removed the urgency comment. I discovered that Amazon offers free RETURN shipping if I choose not to keep the Toshiba.

The toshiba has a native panel refresh of 60hz. The LG has a native panel refresh of 120hz.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO*  /t/1502460/help-i-cant-figure-out-if-true-120hz-or-not#post_24009760

The toshiba has a native panel refresh of 60hz. The LG has a native panel refresh of 120hz.

Ok and how did you come to that conclusion?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insthink  /t/1502460/help-i-cant-figure-out-if-true-120hz-or-not/0_40#post_24009769

Ok and how did you come to that conclusion?

Toshibas "clearscan" technology is just backlight scanning. In other words, the backlight is turning on and off at an extremely fast pace, giving the illusion of a smoother picture. Toshiba's "clearscan 120" technology utilizes a 60hz LCD panel with backlight scanning to create 1 black frame in-between each video frame. While this is a gimmick, it does work in creating a smoother looking picture. The model from LG is listed on their website as having a 120hz panel in the spec sheet, which in other words will display the same frame twice when fed a 60hz signal, or do something called "frame interpolation" which creates a new frame from the previous and future frame.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main concern is the 3:2 pulldown since my source is 99% 24fps.

Would the toshiba 120 clearmotion gimmick give a satisfying result? For 120$ less on a cheap secondary tv, i would be willing to accept the toshiba if it handles the pulldown right.

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
Motion interpolation, whether it be frame insertion or frame duplication, is handled differently by each mfr. so you have to decide for yourself which is acceptable and looks best to you. If your panel is designed for 24p playback, then it will maintain the 5:5 framing and preserve the natural cadence so no pulldown will be necessary. I know that my LG (LD520) can but I don't know about the two you are looking at.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you both.

I went to Futureshop (Canadian version of Best Buy... we also have Best Buy, they're the same) and I saw both TVs on display. I felt the LG looked better.

Then I went to Costco, and saw both TVs on display. I felt the Toshiba looked better.

So I guess I will open both boxes and try them side by side with mirror feed.

I hate opening a box, but for once, I have to take advantage of the return policy for when I just don't like something

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insthink  /t/1502460/help-i-cant-figure-out-if-true-120hz-or-not/0_40#post_24013416

Thank you both.

I went to Futureshop (Canadian version of Best Buy... we also have Best Buy, they're the same) and I saw both TVs on display. I felt the LG looked better.

Then I went to Costco, and saw both TVs on display. I felt the Toshiba looked better.

So I guess I will open both boxes and try them side by side with mirror feed.

I hate opening a box, but for once, I have to take advantage of the return policy for when I just don't like something

My personal vote would have to go towards the toshiba. It has low input lag, and has received good reviews for the most part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts