AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two antenna's, one is the CM3020 and the other is the CM4228. I am trying to pull a station from about 60 miles away. I have no buildings in my way. I have the Zenith HD420 receiver.

I can get normal analog signal (very weak lots of snow) from the station I am trying to pull in. But I can't get the signal strength bar to even budge on the digital tuner. I really need (want) this to work by this weekend so that I can watch the Superbowl in HD.

Does anyone have any suggestions such as a pre amp or amp or something? Is there anything else I can try or do?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I'm using a 100 ft cable run (could be too long?)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Assuming you have a fairly clear shot to the tower, it depends on the broadcast power of the digital station. I'm using a CM 4228 to pick up a 300kw uhf as well as a 420kw uhf channel at 60 miles. I'm using a CM Stealthtenna to pick up a vhf at 50kw at 50 miles away. My preamp is BlonderTongue Vaulter III plus and without it I get basically no signal. With it signals are medium/strong without significant dropout. Another often-recommended preamp is the CM 7777 series but I've no direct experience with it.

You can find the various broadcast powers of your stations at the FCC website or TVRadioworld.com.

Charles

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get an amp and put it in the line as close to the antenna as possible (before the 100 foot run). Get one with an FM trap as well. Radio Shack will have it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ceeej
Get an amp and put it in the line as close to the antenna as possible (before the 100 foot run). Get one with an FM trap as well. Radio Shack will have it.
What is the difference between an amp with and fm trap and a pre amp such as the CM 7777

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
The CM 7777 series has a switchable FM trap on their combo VHF/uhf models. An FM trap is not needed for UHF only amps.

The BlonderTongue amp I referred to has a non-switchable one on the VHF side.

Charles

·
Registered
339 Posts
You didn't say how your antennas are connected, but the 8-bay UHF only 4228 is your best bet for receiving a UHF station at 60 miles. Your 100' of cable, if RG-6 type, has a loss of about 5.5 dB. You should try a preamp, but getting a preferred Channel Master or Winegard preamp in time for the weekend might be difficult since few B&M retailers carry these products. If you want to go the Radio Shack route, try their 15-1109. It has a decent Noise Figure of 3.6 dB and is a stable amplifier (unlike their others). It has both VHF and UHF sections. The FM trap is only needed in VHF preamps. This is switchable and is provided to prevent the preamp from being overloaded by strong local FM stations. Avoid the other Radio Shack preamps. The 15-1109 retails for $70.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Connected via RG-6. 100 ft long. I may buy a new (shorter) cable. I just ordered the CM Preamp. I chose overnight shipping. (I hate spending that kind of money for shipping, but it will be worth it if I get the Superbowl in HD).

I'm still wondering what the difference between a preamp and an amp is.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Assuming you ordered the CM 7777, you ordered a preamp. You'll have one box that mounts on the antenna and a power supply that you place in-line on the inside of the house. An "amplifier" or better yet "distribution amplifier" would usually refer to a box you place inside-only that also boosts signal but is typically noisier and better used in distributing signals to multiple locations, say you have 8 tv's in your house and your cable co.'s signal isn't strong enough.

Good Luck and enjoy the game.

Charles

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great, it sounds like I purchased the right equipment then. I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ntode
Great, it sounds like I purchased the right equipment then. I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for all the help.
Are you getting any other stations in DT? Let us know your stations that you should be/could be receiving and their status as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ntode
Connected via RG-6. 100 ft long. I may buy a new (shorter) cable. I just ordered the CM Preamp. I chose overnight shipping. (I hate spending that kind of money for shipping, but it will be worth it if I get the Superbowl in HD).

I'm still wondering what the difference between a preamp and an amp is.
No, I know about the 100 ft. of RG-6. What wasn't clear was whether you are trying to combine the CM 3020 and 4228 antennas. That would not be a good idea as the signals from the 4228 and the UHF section of the 3020 could interfere with each other. Connect one or the other, but not both. If you want to use the VHF section of the 3020 with the 4228, you can do so using the CM 7777 preamp but you would need to first disable the UHF section of the 3020 (if that's possible).

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the preamp didn't come in, so I have to go to Radio Shack tonight and see what they have.

I get ABC and PBS I think but other than that, I don't get any HD. I am able to get the local CBS and NBC in digital, as well as fox, but none have HD. I'm trying to get the peoria CBS which is in HD. Tonight without any changes I saw the signal strength go up a little. Gives me hope that they turn up the juice at night or the weather is helping me? Really I don't know.

I'm not hooking up both antenna's at the same time. I have switch. I thought the switch might be causing a problem too, but I removed that and it didn't help either.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought the radio shack preamp. it was 70 dollars, and it didn't help. I was very dissapointed. It looks like I am goign to have to come up with another way to get cbs hd.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You previously mentioned that you were trying to get Peoria CBS in HD?

You mean this Peoria CBS station:
Quote:
Quote from http://www.pjstar.com/sports/wessler/b1vnqc15073.html

If you are in the WMBD-TV Channel 31 viewing area, DO NOT GO OUT AND BUY A NEW HDTV FOR THE SUPER BOWL!

CBS is broadcasting the game with a high-definition signal. But the local affiliate in the World's Most Boondoggled Dot-on-the-map has not yet mastered the technology.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.