AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot believe that they did not test the new software before they released it. I cannot add digital locals to my guide!!

Tonight, I am very excited about the HD Nova special on PBS. I even invited company over and it was very embarrasing to have this happen.

We were watching PBS digital on channel 32 over the air. It was coming in fine, then at 9PM they switch to the PBS national feed. Normally when this occurs, there is a brief pause and it remaps to channel 80. Tonight, instead of changing to channel 80 like it always does, the station just disappeared and was nowhere to be found in the program guide.

When I when into the menu to add it back, I go to the Add DTV screen. I punch in 32 for the transmit channel. It locks on with good signal strength and shows 80 as the remap channel. I then hit save and enter the channel name and hit save again. Then it doesn't show up in the list on the left. So I try to scan. Well it finds the channel but doesn't add it to the list. I am able to add analog locals fine.

By this time, I am furious. I have missed the HD show that I was so excited about. Now I cannot even watch my local digital station because the damn software will not let me add it back after it erased it.

Help, what do I do? Has anyone else had trouble adding local digital stations to their program guide? Who do I call? I am willing to bet that calling Dish on this will be a joke.

Stuck without digital locals,

SCott

·
Registered
760 Posts
This happened to me in Denver. Our PBS digital channel is 18 and the national PBS feed is mapped to channel 80.

I had my 6000 set to OTA in the HDTV setup. The highest channel for OTA is 69. I called DISH tech support. They mentioned cable. I said no I am getting PBS OTA. The Tech put me on hold to check some more. I reentered the HDTV setup and checked cable instead of OTA. I then went to reenter channel 18. I saved it and PBS 80 showed up with NOVA in HDTV. The tech came back and told me to switch to cable. I said I had dine it and everything was working now.

It appears the new software only goes to channel 69 in OTA mode. In cable mode higher channels can be mapped. Cable also picked up all my DTV and NTSC OTA channels.

I hope this helps you for the future.

------------------

Hot

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hot. I wish I had known about that work around last night. This AM, they had switched back to the regular feed and I was able to add channel 32 to my guide.

One other interesting thing. Now, after I add it, it asks me to enter a name. So I do. The name, however, does not appear in the guide. I s there any fix for that?

Also with analogs, if you put in CBS you get NBC and vice versa.

Scott

·
Registered
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot:
I reentered the HDTV setup and checked cable instead of OTA. I then went to reenter channel 18. I saved it and PBS 80 showed up with NOVA in HDTV. The tech came back and told me to switch to cable. I said I had dine it and everything was working now.
Yes, the work-around does work for digital channels, but not analog UHF channels. To watch them, I have to go back into HDTV set-up and switch from cable to OTA. A real pain, but

at least it remembers channel 80 when I go back into the HDTV setup and switch to cable.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I enter the name of my DTV station but it then changes to the one sent out by the station. I think it is supposed tro happen that way.

I deleted analog channel 4 which is CBS. Then added it back checking CBS and it came back as NBC. I was lucky I had not saved the entire list, so I cancelled and my old setting of CBS came back.

This must be some glitch in the software.

------------------

Hot

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed the CBS/NBC glitch as well in the analog setup. If you select CBS it shows up in the guide as NBC. If you select NBC it shows up in the guide as CBS. Definite software bug here.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Call your PBS station and make them aware of this problem

They need to Remap the PSIP (Like we do)

They may not know that this is Happening

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot:
I reentered the HDTV setup and checked cable instead of OTA. I then went to reenter channel 18. I saved it and PBS 80 showed up with NOVA in HDTV.
Hot,

You da' man.

This should be a mandatory course for all 6000 owners. Great workaround.

Watching auburn & Alabama on the PBS National Feed now (80-3, mapped locally).

Of course I'm watching on WENH-DT because our Boston "Flagship" PBS WGBH station believes there are not enough DTV sets in the Boston area, though their Sprinfield affiliate is broadcasting to a fraction of that fraction.

Thanks,

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.