AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha s1500 that is a couple of years old. I have it hooked up to my Hitachi CRT RPTV via component cables. Everything has been working great until last night. A friend was housesitting and utilizing the home theater and informed me, upon my return, that the picture looked "green." It didn't look "green" when I fired it up today, but I am seeing green artifacts all over the screen.

My first thought was that something happened to the component cables, but using a different set of cables made no difference. I've also switched inputs on the back of the TV (there are two sets of component cable inputs) to no avail.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be and what solutions I might be able to implement? Is it possible for the component video out connections on my DVD to instantaneously degrade? Any help would be welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
That's what happens when you let others monkey around with your gear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally identified the problem, so I'll post it in case it can help someone else. The "interference" got so bad that it was showing up on paused images and even on the screen saver (no disk in the player). Basically, there were vertical lines of green "macroblocking", green macroblocking on all light colored images, and tons of noise all over the picture in general. Switching the switch on the back of the unit from 480p output to 480i output solved the problem. Somehow the 480p signal was getting corrupted. So I haven't fixed the player, but at least I can watch DVDs in the interim.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djironic /forum/post/0

I finally identified the problem, so I'll post it in case it can help someone else. The "interference" got so bad that it was showing up on paused images and even on the screen saver (no disk in the player). Basically, there were vertical lines of green "macroblocking", green macroblocking on all light colored images, and tons of noise all over the picture in general. Switching the switch on the back of the unit from 480p output to 480i output solved the problem. Somehow the 480p signal was getting corrupted. So I haven't fixed the player, but at least I can watch DVDs in the interim.

Dont know your player but.....

Put it back on 480p and go into the dvd player setup menu and see if you can cycle through various types of component output signals such as RGB, YPbPr, etc or maybe even an 'auto'. Maybe under a Video Output setup menu?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My player is a Yamaha S1500, and, unfortunately, there are no video output options on the set-up screens. What I did try to turn DCDi off, but that didn't make a difference. Incidentally, in playing around with it, the progressive scan signal has degraded to the point that the entire image is now pixelated with noise and washed out/oversaturated with color. I would say it's officially dead. Good thing 480i still works...

Thanks for the idea, though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.