AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using this TV for 2 years with the same HTPC.. via my PowerColor HD 4850 ATI card (HDMI cable). I was using Vista 64x, then upgrade to WIndows 7 64x Evaluation copy. Now I bought the Win 7 64bit Ultimate.

After I reinstall the OS, the LCD keeps making this hissing and poping noise. I am using HDMI 2 input as for the last two years. Nothing changed, same HDMI cable, same video card, some computer, just new OS.

But I did added an OCZ RevoDrive SSD on PCI-E card, instead of using my OCZ 2.5" SSD HD.

I first thought it's the new ATI catalysist driver 10.2. So I roll back to the earlier version 9, or 8, same thing. I used the Windows driver, same thing..

But whenever I play a sound from my HTPC, the TV plays the sound and then the hissing and popping is gone. But on the next day, I turned on my TV, the hissing and popping comes back, and I have to play a sound to quiet it down.

So now everyday the first thing I do when I turn on my TV and the HTPC is to play a sound to suppress the hissing noise.

It feels like if I don't play a sound from the HTPC, the TV doesn't get a proper signal level from the HTPC via the HDMI cable, and the hissing and popping noise.

My HDMI 2 port has no problem , because I tried plugging my DVD player to it and no noise.

Hope someone can help.

TIA,

Sapphire

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't have a problem when I watch OTA, or any other source (DVD, Cable Box).

It's just that when I use HDMI2 which is connected to my HTPC the hissing noise starts.

It's even interesting that even if I set the TV volume to "0", the hissing and popping noise still exists. The noise start soft when I turn on my HTPC, then it begins to get louder and louder. Once I play a sound from my HTPC, it complete gone.

grr..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Sapphire,

Here's something for you to try. Make sure the TV and the HTPC are connected to the same powerstrip. Unplug everything else from the wall-socket. So say if you have 2 sockets on your wall-socket, make sure only one is used by the powerstrip (unplug anything that's using the 2nd wall socket), and connect both the TV and the HTPC to the same powerstrip alone. Unplug everything else.

Now see if the popping is still there or if it has dramatically gone down.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf /forum/post/19635211

Hi Sapphire,

Here's something for you to try. Make sure the TV and the HTPC are connected to the same powerstrip. Unplug everything else from the wall-socket. So say if you have 2 sockets on your wall-socket, make sure only one is used by the powerstrip (unplug anything that's using the 2nd wall socket), and connect both the TV and the HTPC to the same powerstrip alone. Unplug everything else.

Now see if the popping is still there or if it has dramatically gone down.

Thanks for the suggesiton, Poison. I will try it tonight and let you know about my result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts