AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I wanted to control my receiver with the Replaytv remote, so I followed the instructions on hifi-remote.com, and it worked, but the channel guide and instant replay buttons got switched in the process.

Then, in my stupidity of trying to fix it, I somehow now have BOTH the channel guide button and the instand replay button as instant replay, and NO channel guide button anymore!

Is there any way to fix this... I've tried resetting the replay codes a bunch of times, but it doesn't do anything.

Maybe a way to completely reset the entire remote to default settings??

thanks

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
This should be easy I.E. unless you have a non typical button default programmed. But lets not worry about that yet. If you do the 944 again (make sure you are in hard disk recorder mode)and this time press the channel guide button twice, the default channel guide code will return. Go ahead and try that, chances are you'll be O'k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Followup:

I figured out how to get it back into the 'switched' position by clearing the assignments of the replay device button, then resetting them.

However, I still can't master the switching process. This time I used the TV/VCR button as an intermediate so I wouldn't lose anything, but when I try to copy the code from the the TV/VCR button to the Channel Guide button, it doesn't work. So now my channel guide button does nothing, and the TV/VCR button is the channel guide.

I guess that's better than nothing.

Anybody mastered the art of switching two button's codes??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mikeyboy: did you meann 994?

I tried 994 then pressing channel guide twice. That reset it to instant replay, i.e. the original 'switched' code.

What it seems to be having trouble with is copying the channel guide code from TV/VCR (where I temporarily switched it to) to channel guide.

chris

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I was doing some research but didn't find Robmans reference as to exactly this problem. Yes I meant 994. You can not copy a changed code only the default. So if the default "Channel Guide" code is "Instant replay" then likely the default "Instant replay" is "Channel guide". Change both of the channel guide and instant replay back to default to verify the default code and post back.

Didn't get a reply. Anyway if you verified that the 2 buttons default operation were reversed you can then copy and paste to each other to get the correct operation. The pasted code to TV device is worthless unless you have a JP1 connector and the required software to program the remote using your computer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the default codes are "switched".

What I'm apparantly having trouble with is the copying and pasting operation:

I'm finding it difficult to describe... when i copy, say, A button's code to B button, the original B button code is lost/overriden, so I end up with both buttons being the same code.

Does that make any sense?

What are the exact steps I should be taking to not lose the code for the button I'm copying to?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The default codes are never lost. Performing the key move (copy and paste) will work. You had the misfortune of getting the miscoded remote so the key move is required to make the remote do as the button name implies. Simply copy from and to regardless of what the key actually performs.

1- press hard disk recorder button once

2- hold down setup/code set until LED blinks twice

3- press 9-9-4 (not 944 like the sports car hehe )

4- press the "Channel guide" button once (actually you are copying the default "instant replay" code

5- press "Instant replay" button once. The LED will flash twice if the code is accepted.

You now have "Instant replay" back to the "Instant replay" button

6- press hard disk recorder button once

7- hold down setup/code set until LED blinks twice

8- press 9-9-4

9- press the "Instant replay" button once (actually you are copying the default "Channel guide" code.

10- press "Channel guide" button once. The LED will flash twice if the code is accepted.

You now have "Channel guide" back to "Channel guide button.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It worked perfectly! Thanks so much.

I was getting hung up after the first copying move when I thought the code was lost. Thanks for setting me straight.

Now I have the remote set up just the way I want: The VCR button controlling my receiver, and the volume/mute buttons controlling the receiver in all modes!

I love my ReplayTV!!!

thanks again,

chris

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Glad to hear it. I've got my remote set up so that when you channel + it quick skips and when you channel - you get instant replays. Love it!! I use select to make channel changes out of the channel guide. I find thumbing through replay channels too slow so this change works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.