AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a DVD player to go with a Hitachi 51 inch SWX20B and would like some recommendations. I'd like to spend less than $300 and I'd like one of DVD-A or SACD, but PQ is the top priority. I'd also like something that plays SVCD and can handle CD-Rs or DVD-Rs well. I've done some research and come up with the following players:

JVC 600BK

Sony NS755V

Panasonic XP50

Toshiba 4800

Thoughts?

·
Banned
97 Posts
I have a 51swx20b w/Denon 3800 and all I have to say is DAMN!! It is extroadinary. If you can spend the extra dough to get a HDTV, the particular kind you have, you might as well treat it with a good dvd player. If you sprung for a 51swx than you should spend the extra cash for a worthwhile player. Have you heard of the saying, garbage in; garbage out. I would at least recommend the Denon 1600 or the new 2900. You came here looking for a decision, so if you prefer what I say or not, it is up to you how you want your HDTV to look.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixter
I'm looking for a DVD player to go with a Hitachi 51 inch SWX20B and would like some recommendations. I'd like to spend less than $300 and I'd like one of DVD-A or SACD, but PQ is the top priority. I'd also like something that plays SVCD and can handle CD-Rs or DVD-Rs well. I've done some research and come up with the following players:

JVC 600BK

Sony NS755V

Panasonic XP50

Toshiba 4800

Thoughts?
I would tell you to go with the Panasonic XP50. I own a RP-82 and have a 57SWX and the results are outstanding. AFAIK it is basically the same player. Anyway, it would serve you well. Of course, if you can spend slightly more, the Denon 1600 would be a nice upgrade...same player- better audio. Still, you do not need to spend $1000+ to get a good player.

Quote:
I have a 51swx20b w/Denon 3800 and all I have to say is DAMN!! It is extroadinary. If you can spend the extra dough to get a HDTV, the particular kind you have, you might as well treat it with a good dvd player. If you sprung for a 51swx than you should spend the extra cash for a worthwhile player. Have you heard of the saying, garbage in; garbage out. I would at least recommend the Denon 1600 or the new 2900. You came here looking for a decision, so if you prefer what I say or not, it is up to you how you want your HDTV to look.
come on marcpam...you are not even close to his ballpark figures. Of course, the 3800 is a better player, but telling this to a guy with a $300 budget...you might as well tell him to get the 9000. Plus, last time I checked, very few reviewers thought of the RP-82/XP-30/XP-50/DVD-1600 as Garbage. No doubt that the 3800 is a great player though; in fact, I am hoping to upgrade to the 3900 when it arrives this fall.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A nice player that meets all your needs is the Sony DVP-NS755V. It can be had for under $240.

You can check it out here:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...g86An&Dept=hav

This is the player I used with my SWX until I replaced it with a 300 disc mega changer. The PQ is great.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
I'm very interested in the 755V but I'm skiddish of the chroma bug.
Then definitely get the Panasonic(scored a 91 on the secrets shoot-out...No chroma bug!!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
I'm very interested in the 755V but I'm skiddish of the chroma bug.
In all the months I used the 755V I never noticed any hint of the Chroma Bug, and I like all the Disney/Pixar animation films. I even looked for the telltale signs and never saw them.

Same with my new Sony 875P 301 disc megachanger.

Have you hooked one up and looked for yourself?

In my opinion, the only nitpicks I have for this player have nothing to do with video quality. One is the way it auto plays on start up. Another is that it has a one second or shorter delay on layer changes. But as I understand, a one second or shorter delay is perfectly normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.