AVS Forum banner
  • Take part in a short activity and share your valuable opinion on new design concepts for AVSForum! >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Help: I Need Your Advice!

983 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Shin CZ

Quote:

720p (1366 x 768) resolution

NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners

Widescreen aspect (16:9)

3 HDMI inputs

CineSpeed LCD panel

SRS® WOW audio

I currently owned the Toshiba 37" (37HL67) -720p- LCD/HDTV. I was pleased with the picture considering it was only a 720p and not a 1080p. The TV has been great, the games look good, and the image quality is amazing. However, now im trying to upgrade to a FULL HD. The HDTV I was leaning towards to was the Samsung 40" (LNT4061F) -1080p-.

Would anyone reccomend this TV?

Am I making the right decision by going from Toshiba to Samsung & 720p to 1080p?

Whats the best FULL HD that is great quality but decent price?

Quote:

1080p (1920 x 1080) resolution

NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners

Widescreen (16:9)

10,000:1 contrast ratio

3 HDMI inputs

Wide color enhancer
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time changing from a 720 set to a 1080 set for such a small screen size.

You will have to be sitting less than 4.8ft from the set to be able to resolve 1080.

Sitting further away than that, there will be no discernible difference in the PQ.

See the Viewing Distance Calculator for more info.

PS. "Full HD" is just a marketing phrase to take money out of your pocket.
See less See more
So it wouldnt be worth it then? I figured if my 37" Regza looks good with 720p, then a 40: Samsung must look awesome with a 1080p.
Nope.

But with a 40" display, you could sit further back ... 5.2ft.

Save your money.
See less See more
While I believe 1080P is a good thing as more pixels are a good thing it seems that going up 3" may be barely noticeable at all. You need to make a bigger leap than 3" to gain immersion with 1080P not that it can't benefit to some degree but it seems it would not be worth the bother unless you were going up to at least 46" - as pixels get larger with good VP more details present themselves.

A point I'll make is comparing a 720P 40S3000 Sony with a 42" Olevia 1080P and other budget panels that have 1080P but are eight bit panels - the 40S3000 kicks their arses because it has a jump to ten bit panel/processing quadrupling the effects. So there are cases where a 720P panel can kick some 1080P butt when going up against those 8 bit panels that have 1080P.

Some of the Toshiba's are ten bit with 14 bit processing but I do not know the specs of yours.

So look beyond 1080P itself - it matters greatly what it's packaged with and the size but 3" is not going to cut it unless it has the whole package to make the best of those two million pixels. Going bigger gets addictive but it does make a difference it's just that 3" isn't going to make a huge difference unless it's PQ is at the top end level like a 71 series IMO. Worth it? Not to me unless you went bigger yet. BTW when you go 40" you'll crave larger yet. Good Luck!
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/12803263

While I believe 1080P is a good thing as more pixels are a good thing it seems that going up 3" may be barely noticeable at all. You need to make a bigger leap than 3" to gain immersion with 1080P not that it can't benefit to some degree but it seems it would not be worth the bother unless you were going up to at least 46" - as pixels get larger with good VP more details present themselves.

A point I'll make is comparing a 720P 40S3000 Sony with a 42" Olevia 1080P and other budget panels that have 1080P but are eight bit panels - the 40S3000 kicks their arses because it has a jump to ten bit panel/processing quadrupling the effects. So there are cases where a 720P panel can kick some 1080P butt when going up against those 8 bit panels that have 1080P.

Some of the Toshiba's are ten bit with 14 bit processing but I do not know the specs of yours.

So look beyond 1080P itself - it matters greatly what it's packaged with and the size but 3" is not going to cut it unless it has the whole package to make the best of those two million pixels. Going bigger gets addictive but it does make a difference it's just that 3" isn't going to make a huge difference unless it's PQ is at the top end level like a 71 series IMO. Worth it? Not to me unless you went bigger yet. BTW when you go 40" you'll crave larger yet. Good Luck!

westa6969 makes excellent point. My question: Olevia 265TFHD 65" 1080p and the Sony KDL52XBR5 are at a virtually identical price point. The XBR has 120hz vs 60hz for the Olevia but the Olevia is using Realta processor. Does the extra 13 inches warrant giving up a little bit in PQ?

All comments most welcomed! Thanks, Ken
I can sit about 6ft from my 40" 1080 and still see pixels.

But as a past and present 720p AND a 1080p owner, you can still have a quality image with a 1080p set well past the point of '1080p/720p discernible difference'. I sometimes sit about 10ft from my 40" 1080p set and looks AMAZING.

If you can put down on a 1080p 40", go ahead. You then have the option to sit closer for Full 1080p, or sit further and still get quality HD.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.