AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! I screwed up all the geometry of the picture on my sony KV30hs420 while trying to fix it in the service menu.

How do I reset all that. I don't care if it resets the whole thing, I'm willing to restart to set the colors,... Please help!

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77
I need help! I screwed up all the geometry of the picture on my sony KV30hs420 while trying to fix it in the service menu.

How do I reset all that. I don't care if it resets the whole thing, I'm willing to restart to set the colors,... Please help!
I presume that you DID NOT write down all the original values - if so then there's no way to reset it or restore it to it's original settings and you've ruined your TV.

When the hell will people learn ???

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
I presume that you DID NOT write down all the original values - if so then there's no way to reset it or restore it to it's original settings and you've ruined your TV.

When the hell will people learn ???
Yes I admit that it is my mistake. Is actually ruined? or should I find a way to do it on my own. I'd appreciate any help.

·
Registered
22,267 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me.

Not singling you out (and I can feel your pain) but,

People buy a new (expensive?) TV and are unhappy with the picture. Why not call for warranty service?

People search and obtain the code(s) to access the service menus and start changing parameters willy-nilly.

One oops... and they come for help after the fact!

There are tons of warnings on tons of A/V forums, yet no one reads or takes a few minutes/hours to "understand" the implications?

I'm not wagging my finger at you... just a general observation.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
It never ceases to amaze me.

Not singling you out (and I can feel your pain) but,

People buy a new (expensive?) TV and are unhappy with the picture. Why not call for warranty service?

People search and obtain the code(s) to access the service menus and start changing parameters willy-nilly.

One oops... and they come for help after the fact!

There are tons of warnings on tons of A/V forums, yet no one reads or takes a few minutes/hours to "understand" the implications?

I'm not wagging my finger at you... just a general observation.
I'm totally new to this and I made a newbie mistake, The thing is that I CAN'T have a in home service repair because I bought the TV from the US but I don't live in the US and where I live, there are no SONY in home repair or any other brand. It's a risk that I took, I just wanted to fix the colors, convergence,...Which thanks to all the reading I've improved it but unfortunatly I screwed up the geometry a little. I thought maybe there was a way to re arrange it. I guess the answer is NO and that I'm on my own.

Thanks anyway. I'll try to fix it on my own. I'm sure with some patience there is a way to do it.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
I'm totally new to this and I made a newbie mistake, The thing is that I CAN'T have a in home service repair because I bought the TV from the US but I don't live in the US and where I live, there are no SONY in home repair or any other brand. It's a risk that I took, I just wanted to fix the colors, convergence,...Which thanks to all the reading I've improved it but unfortunatly I screwed up the geometry a little. I thought maybe there was a way to re arrange it. I guess the answer is NO and that I'm on my own.

Thanks anyway. I'll try to fix it on my own. I'm sure with some patience there is a way to do it.
Best chance you have: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494

·
Registered
540 Posts
The best thing to do is bring it to a Sony service center.

Chances are that the more you tinker with it the worse it will get.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
KenTech has a PDF file of the HS420 service menu in the Sony tweaking thread. Find it, download it, and reset the values back to default. Then work back from there.

All is not lost if you got the time and a little patience.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link Q of BanditZ , I found a very helpful pdf file about geometry. I think I will get through this. I'm patient so even if I spend hours and hours, I will not rest untill I fix it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain
KenTech has a PDF file of the HS420 service menu in the Sony tweaking thread. Find it, download it, and reset the values back to default. Then work back from there.

I read that there is a caution for this 7 jump 9 then Enter. I'm not willing to risk that. (I know that I should have read ALL before)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:

That is bad advice IMHO to suggest he should tinker even more with it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
That is bad advice IMHO to suggest he should tinker even more with it.
Why would it be bad advice to set everything back to default? I have the KV-30HS420 and those default geometry settings are pretty close to where mine were at before I started tweaking it. I wrote all my factory settings down, of course.

Geometry ain't that big a deal. There aren't that many geometry settings in the SM that would make it impossible to fix a botched job. It just takes time and patience. It ain't the end of the world.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:
Find it, download it, and reset the values back to default. Then work back from there.
I agree. But DO NOT use the RESET function of the remote (three keystrokes), as that will change values you have not screwed up. Just use the data charts (probably the 2170D series) and hand-enter the values listed for the TV, modifying them when they're way off.

Please, that's HAND-ENTER the numbers. Don't try for anything automatic!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTech
I agree. But DO NOT use the RESET function of the remote (three keystrokes), as that will change values you have not screwed up. Just use the data charts (probably the 2170D series) and hand-enter the values listed for the TV, modifying them when they're way off.

Please, that's HAND-ENTER the numbers. Don't try for anything automatic!
I spent three hours and I actually fixed it, well let's say 90%. Specially with the pdf file about geometry. With pics to see what each function do, it was a lot usefull.

Ken tech, What you are saying is that in the 2170-D1 or 2170-D2, I reset manually those one by one? If yes, I will do it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
"Resetting" the TV is an iffy proposition.

On some makes "reset" brings up values that were there before the final calibration at the factory, values you don't know even if you did write down everything you see in the menus, values that don't always give a good picture.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:
What you are saying is that in the 2170-D1 or 2170-D2, I reset manually those one by one?
Not if you've made corrections that have fixed things! What you should NOT do is the complete reset back to factory defaults, as that will reset things you DON'T want reset. (I.e. do NOT ever press the three-keystroke combinations of 7-Jump-Enter or 7-9-Enter.)

The numbers in the service-data charts are useful if you have screwed up a couple of settings and you want to at least start with certain factory defaults *on specific items* you are working with. That way, no Big Magic Reset (above) will mess up your TV in ways you never dreamed. Don't enter any numbers you don't need to -- especially ones you didn't change in the first place!

But you may already have solved your problem, in which case, congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikminZeez
What you have to do is, while in the service menu, press 0 then ENTER. This should reset all service mode values.
No, that's not a solution. If you have entered service mode and changed a few things, those keystrokes (or a power-off-on) will restore the settings to before you entered service mode -- to the *saved* valued, in other words. If you have already saved bogus settings, 0-Enter will just recall *them.*

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Boy is this thread a HUGE!!!!!!!!!! REMINDER to people about they SHOULD NOT BE DOING!!!

People, leave your tv's alone, and if you want it calibrated, hire a pro.

Better yet, the best way for a novice(like myself) to get the best picture from your tv is to get a calibration disc(AVIA or DVE or the like) and do the changes that are available in the regular menu for the picture.

These discs do GREATLY improve your picture using the standard changes available in the regular menu. Most of us never realized(myself included) how MUCH BETTER a picture could be(whether it is analog, DVD, or HDTV) with a couple to a few hours of tweaks in the regular menu.

Could a pro do a much better job using fancy equipment and the Service Menu? Of course. But to most people, you probably would not notice a BREATHTAKING difference(unless your tv or your own calibrations were really screwed up).

Botttom line to all Newbies:

STAY THE F* OUT OF THE SERVICE MENU!! YOU WILL ONLY SCREW UP YOUR TV!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big thanks to all, Thank you Ken.

My picture geometry is almost at a 100% normal, I just need to fix the bow at the top (top horizontal), it is almost unnoticable but I can see it mainly while watching 2:35:1 dvds.

I just need to fix that and I'm set. I'm getting there little by little. I hope that this experience will serve as warning to the others that are totally new to this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.