AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, there i was, thinking of re-converging the old 1030Q1 on a starry moonlit night. Opened up the case, fired up a movie, and sat back to let the tubes warm up. When they were all nice and toasty, i switched it to test pattern, switched off the blue and started converging. Or so i thought. In my haste, coupled with "yeah i know this"-ness, i accidentally adjusted the green. To make things worse, before i realised this, i played with the width setting (the one marked in white). Now i realised i was in big trouble, so i switched it off and went outside for a walk. Came back some time later, read through the manual, and adjusted the width to somewhat like it used to be.

Now the problem: I couldn't converge red on green properly, so i thought i'd made the green move, so i should adjust it again. BIG MISTAKE. Things started getting progressively worse, to the point where convergence was COMPLETELY out of the question. I switched it off again at that point, and came online. Found nothing relating to what i had just experienced, so thought i would ask some of my knowldegeable friends - what do you do when you accidentally adjust the green controls and convergence becomes a *****?

PS: Next time i am definitely use the old "cardboard over untouchable controls" trick. :( :(

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I would set all convergence controls to 50% and start over. It's really hard to screw up a 1031...

Curt

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curt, are you saying i should do the green convergence again? That is the one which got me in trouble!

·
Registered
16,585 Posts
Mark ,

-- that is exactly what Curt is saying ... Start Over from step 1 with all controls to 50% and then go . Do the green first and get it as perfect as you can , then red on green and finally blue on red .

-- Have Fun , it will take a little while but you can get it back to normal without much worry - just be patient .

--- Best Wishes ,

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

This need not be an excercise in fear. Get some twine and tape and measure your screen's horizon; tape up a string going sideways, half way up; maybe add strings one quarter and three quarters of the way also; run some strings vertically at the midpoint and quarter points. Now you have a measured grid to set v skew, h skew, linearity, etc. for green. Set your bow and pincushions, and there you go!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks guys. It was simpler than i anticipated. However, i am running into another problem now...

I have the PJ at 108" from the screen (distance to lenses), but the image is 57x76" - PJCalc says it should be much smaller. How do i adjust it? I know how to do the horizontal size, but not the vertical size. Can anyone help me here? The manual has no word on how to do this...

(Praying i won't have to adjust the coils.... Mark :))

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

I owned a 1031 a long time ago, I remember one of the trimmers among the convergence settings that was master v size; don't ask me which one! It may have been marked in white on the function labels......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.