AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the HSU VTF2-MK3 sub. In setting it up I was taking measurements from my Radio Shack SPL and man do I have a bass equalization challenge to deal with! I'm a newb with this audio calibration and equalization so I'm hoping to get some advise here please.

I set my sub level using pink noise from my Yamaha RX-V1400 and balanced it so it was even with the fronts.

However when I play the series of test tones that came with my sub, I have quite a large hot spot from about 25hz-40hz where it gets WAY to loud.

Specifically here's what I read using the SPL as I played the tones. Note that I do not know how exactly to interpret the SPL meter and the various dials/dB levels so I am posting what the meter reading was and what the dial was set to for that reading:

(These tones are labeled as 1/3 octive warble tones on the test CD)

16hz tone: SPL Dial at 70, reading: 0

20hz tone: SPL Dial at 70, reading: +4

25hz tone: SPL Dial at 80, reading: +2

31.5hz tone: SPL Dial at 90, reading: 0 (so +20dB higher than 20hz?)

40hz tone: SPL Dial at 80, reading: 0

50hz tone: SPL Dial at 70, reading: 4

63hz tone: SPL Dial at 70, reading: 5

80hz tone: SPL Dial at 70, reading: 0

Now I'm quite sure this is not the fault of the sub, but rather an issue with my room configuration/setup. Unfortunately the sub is in the only location where I can place it in the room, so moving it is not an option. Its currently in a corner, and I did try moving it further away from the corner, but it did not improve things.

So although I don't know much about bass equalization, certainly it seems quite obvious I have a challenge here to deal with and this calls for equalization. Am I correct here?

My Yamaha RX-V1400 does have YPAO calibration with a parametric eq but it does not equalize any bass (only left/center/right and surrounds get calibrated).

What do you guys recommend I can do to smooth out this hot spot? As you can see that range is much louder than the rest. This causes the sub to become localized and sounds way to overbearing and muddled during certain movie scenes as I'm sure you'd expect.

Is there some equalizer device I can purchase to take care of this? I read about something that looked waaay to complicated. I really don't want to get into audio calibration in detail (I spend enough time with video calibration as it is
).

Do any of the higher end A/V receivers offer bass equalization with auto calibration that works well for this purpose? If not is there a basic device I can hook up and move some sliders around or something?

I'd appreciate any advise you can share. Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

Yup. An Equalizer.

This is not abnormal in untreated rooms. Treatment, proper placement, , and EQ can all help, I'd say in that order.

Proper treatment and ideal placement are not going to be doable, so I'm hoping then that I can at least significantly improve things by using an equalizer.

Can someone refer me to some products designed specifically for equalizing base (I assume such things exist - but when I google I just find things that look for guitar players)?

Also I'd be very interested to know if there are any higher end A/V receivers that either do this bass equalization and calibration automatically (assuming it works decently) and/or have the built in equalizers I can use to handle this. That may be worth the upgrade.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/0

Also I'd be very interested to know if there are any higher end A/V receivers that either do this bass equalization and calibration automatically (assuming it works decently) and/or have the built in equalizers I can use to handle this. That may be worth the upgrade.

Thanks!

I'm sure there's plenty of receivers/processors that have room eq's (B&K comes to mind), but I would imagine that an eq will be much cheaper that a new AVR.

I don't have any experience with them personally, but I've heard good things about the ones from AV123 and velodyne.

http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=31.1

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...5&sid=288m913e

Best of luck.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.