1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I own.

HTPC -optical out-> Yamaha RX-V661 -LFE cable out-> Definitive Tech ProSub 800

all powered by Monster Power HTS-1000MKII

receiver is connected to receiver socket.

sub is connected to main amp socket.

Now here is the big problem. From my understanding the sub should turn on when LFE signal hits it. But it doesn't. The only way I am able to "turn it on" is by playing heavy LFE music unplug and plug the power cord. Did I do something wrong? Or should I get the sub checked out by my dealer.
Like I said before everything in the system is new.

PS. I just had my sub drop out when I was listening to low volume music. I guess this is just one messed up sub.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Please help a newbie out.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
It could be a problem with the "auto on" circuit. First, try raising the sub output level on your Yamaha receiver and lowering the volume level on the sub. See if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Found out the solution to my problem. I spoke with the dealers this morning and found out that my sound card wasn't outputting LFE properly and the fix was to add gain to the LFE output. Couldn't believe I am such a newbie.

DARN...I take that back. I still don't understand why my sub would turn itself off after a period of time and can't turn back on? BTW all my speakers works fine except the sub.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
If you have too low of a signal to turn it on, then, even when it does come on, an extended low signal will allow the sub to turn off. The higher input signal should correct both problems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey ransac I think this is the reason. My speakers and sub dealer told me to put my bass to max and it seems to be able to correct this problem. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky22 /forum/post/0

Hey ransac I think this is the reason. My speakers and sub dealer told me to put my bass to max and it seems to be able to correct this problem.

I.......don't think so!

Ian

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm...well it seems to work ok and didn't shutdown after I cranked up the LFE to +10db and the volume up on the receiver.

Haven't had it shutdown on me since.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky22 /forum/post/0

Hmm...well it seems to work ok and didn't shutdown after I cranked up the LFE to +10db and the volume up on the receiver.

Haven't had it shutdown on me since.

I think Ian's comment was about turning the LFE channel to MAX. You should be able to lower that to 0 to +5. You really should get an SPL meter and calibrate your system. Keep the sub turned down and calibrate using the AVR volume and channel settings. Then turn up the sub gain only if needed. There is a lot of advice for calibration on this and other forums..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! but currently it's really hard to score a SPL in Canada. I did turn down the sub's setting to compensate for that though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts