AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm a lurker here, never really post much, but love the great info.

Went to bed last night around 1, couldn't sleep for **** so I just watched movies in my bedroom. Finally dozed off around 7, until my girlfriend woke me at 8:30 saying "the TV is gone and the door and window are open!" I figured she was joking, or my roommate had some reason to move it, etc.

Turns out someone busted in and walked out with:

-Panasonic P54GT25 54" plasma

-PS3 60gb (with 320gb HD and Red Dead loaded inside)

-Roomy's friends iPod that was on the table

I'm pissed, but I had to laugh that the idiots took the single largest item I own in the place, and ignored the neatly packed Nikon D200 and various lenses in my camera bag, and my wallet with 3 credit cards and a bunch of cash I need to deposit. I have a friend who's a cop; I'm going to keep an eye out online for anything popping up, and go with him to see if it matches mine. With the 320GB HD in the PS3, and my Netflix account saved on the TV, I figure if they try to resell it semi-locally, it's going to be difficult for them to cover up unless they think to look for such things.

Either way, I filed the claim with Travelers, and I'm waiting to hear from the adjuster. They said to get boxes/receipts/etc together (I have boxes for all but the iPod, receipts are long gone).

My question is, TV is no longer available new, so I'm supposed to find a comparable replacement. I'd like another Panasonic of equal performance at least, and as the TV was in mint condition and only 6 months old, I don't want to chance a used one. 55" GT30 looks like the successor, as the ones below it are missing THX mode amongst other features I use. Is the VT worth the extra? I would consider a used Kuro if I knew more about the different models. I'm not an LCD/LED guy, sorry.

I'm NOT trying to scam the insurance company and get way more than my stuff was worth. I DO want to ensure I replace my stuff with the right items, so I don't come up short (minus the deductible of course).

Tips? Suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
12,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiller9917 /forum/post/20828761

Hi guys, I'm a lurker here, never really post much, but love the great info.

Went to bed last night around 1, couldn't sleep for **** so I just watched movies in my bedroom. Finally dozed off around 7, until my girlfriend woke me at 8:30 saying "the TV is gone and the door and window are open!" I figured she was joking, or my roommate had some reason to move it, etc.

Turns out someone busted in and walked out with:

-Panasonic P54GT25 54" plasma

-PS3 60gb (with 320gb HD and Red Dead loaded inside)

-Roomy's friends iPod that was on the table

I'm pissed, but I had to laugh that the idiots took the single largest item I own in the place, and ignored the neatly packed Nikon D200 and various lenses in my camera bag, and my wallet with 3 credit cards and a bunch of cash I need to deposit. I have a friend who's a cop; I'm going to keep an eye out online for anything popping up, and go with him to see if it matches mine. With the 320GB HD in the PS3, and my Netflix account saved on the TV, I figure if they try to resell it semi-locally, it's going to be difficult for them to cover up unless they think to look for such things.

Either way, I filed the claim with Travelers, and I'm waiting to hear from the adjuster. They said to get boxes/receipts/etc together (I have boxes for all but the iPod, receipts are long gone).

My question is, TV is no longer available new, so I'm supposed to find a comparable replacement. I'd like another Panasonic of equal performance at least, and as the TV was in mint condition and only 6 months old, I don't want to chance a used one. 55" GT30 looks like the successor, as the ones below it are missing THX mode amongst other features I use. Is the VT worth the extra? I would consider a used Kuro if I knew more about the different models. I'm not an LCD/LED guy, sorry.

I'm NOT trying to scam the insurance company and get way more than my stuff was worth. I DO want to ensure I replace my stuff with the right items, so I don't come up short (minus the deductible of course).

Tips? Suggestions? Thanks

Sorry for your loss but there is not a 54" GT25 plasma, 54G25 yes. I'd push for a GT30 or maybe a larger ST30 if that is possible.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
I suggest you get an alarm system for your place. It's not that expensive and it will save you a lot of grief. It will also lower your insurance premium. Now it's time to find the theif!

Regards,

Inspector Clouseau

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon /forum/post/20828871

Sorry for your loss but there is not a 54" GT25 plasma, 54G25 yes. I'd push for a GT30 or maybe a larger ST30 if that is possible.

My bad, been so long since I actually had to think of the model number. It's a G25.

Would I be disappointed in an ST30 from a G25? THX and black levels mean a lot, I watch a fair amount of Bluray movies in the dark on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So sorry this happened to you. I went through a similar experience last October during which my Panny 58PZ750U was stolen. The replacement model the insurance company selected would've netted me $2000 less than what the TV was still selling for, despite being three years old at the time of the burglary (it was a 2007 model). Luckily, I was able to find a brick and mortar store that was still selling new units for the expected price. I called the insurance adjuster assigned to our claim, gave him the listing, and he agreed to cut me a check for the difference right then and there.

No offense to insurance adjusters, but keep in mind that their job is to settle claims as cheaply as possible. As the insured, sometimes you have to do some work to make sure you get a fair settlement. It's a bit exasperating to have to fight for financial justice in the wake of being victimized as you have, but it's a dog-eat-dog world sometimes.

I know what you're going through really stinks. As a person who has recently endured the same, let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

·
Registered
12,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiller9917 /forum/post/20829050

My bad, been so long since I actually had to think of the model number. It's a G25.

Would I be disappointed in an ST30 from a G25? THX and black levels mean a lot, I watch a fair amount of Bluray movies in the dark on it.

If THX means alot to you you'll need to go with the GT30.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon /forum/post/20829257

If THX means alot to you you'll need to go with the GT30.

Is there enough of a price difference between the ST and GT that I'd be better off with an ST+calibration? Lacking any other major features?

Mentioned it before, but any reason I should look for a used Kuro instead?

·
Registered
12,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiller9917 /forum/post/20829516

Is there enough of a price difference between the ST and GT that I'd be better off with an ST+calibration? Lacking any other major features?

Mentioned it before, but any reason I should look for a used Kuro instead?

I dont know exactly on the price but the GT was selling for a really good price. ST is a great set also. Kuro I cant speak to never owned one but I know they still rock
GT is definitely sleeker looking than the ST. Blacks slightly better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20829587

The Home Theater Mag review said the black levels on the GT and ST were the same (.008). You can get a really good picture in custom mode but cinema mode is not terrible either. I would save the money and get the ST. You can get a 60ST as for about the same as the 55GT.

Better/worse than my G25?

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
sorry for your loss and hassle .. you must really be a heavy sleeper ..

·
Registered
12,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023
The Home Theater Mag review said the black levels on the GT and ST were the same (.008). You can get a really good picture in custom mode but cinema mode is not terrible either. I would save the money and get the ST. You can get a 60ST as for about the same as the 55GT.
That makes the GT30 higher than last years GT25 which measured at .052. That makes me question the measurement in that review.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn
sorry for your loss and hassle .. you must really be a heavy sleeper ..

Maybe the girlfriend was in on it!

Ian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang

Maybe the girlfriend was in on it!

Ian
haha! More like insomnia, good movies on Netflix, and a window A/C unit in that room
I figure it's for the better, not sure I wanted to confront these guys.

·
Registered
809 Posts
this is sad and it stinks you did not hear them my friends house as robed buthis sammy lcd was heavy to move. he called cops and he gave all his numbers to the cops for his ps3 a few weeks later he got a call from the cop and said his stuf as at the pawn shop he had to pay money lol to get his stuff back lol

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloimplant
Hmm maybe the ridiculous weight of the vt30 is a security feature. Good luck carrying that sucker off while I'm sleeping in the next room. I'll be wide awake and peeing my pajamas tyvm.
Or better, just get a fake gun and install laser sights and a motion sensor in it. Guarantee that'll get them the hell out of there.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.