AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a house which was wired for audio distribution in the mid 1990's. The main room is wired for 5.1 surround; four additional rooms are wired with a pair of speakers. All five rooms have keypads installed on the wallst that allow source select, stop/play/fast-forward control, and volume.

Due to interesting family history, the former owner has lived in multiple homes since this one and doesn't remember the details of what was installed. He recalls a Denon stereo system as the source and presumably to drive the 5.1 surround; he says there was a matrix switcher to drive the speakers in the remaining rooms.

There is a cabinet in the main room where a jumble of wires emerge. Fortunately many of the wires are nicely labeled. The 5.1 system has plain speaker wires (2 pairs + subwoof). The remaining labeled wires have mildly unusual connectors, grouping speaker pairs into a single 4-bar connector:

I had expected the keypads to be simple controllers, but apparently they have speaker pairs running through them as well as a connector I assume is for sending control logic:

The connector with the black/red,black/blue wires is unlabeled. The one with the two black/red pairs is labeled "left" and "right." I am guessing from this that the unlabeled one is input, the labeled one is output to the speakers in that room.

So, a few questions:

1. Can anybody help me figure out what brand matrix switcher he had installed?

2. Is it worth trying to re-use the 20 year old keypads, or would it be easier to replace the entire system?

3. I don't know what wattage the speakers are. How much do I have to worry about overdriving them?

4. Given that the wiring is already in place, is getting and hooking up the system something I could plan to do myself in a day or so? Or would it be smarter to just get installers in here to be sure I get something that works?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
That looks like an older Matrix Audio Systems controller. Especially since it only has speaker wire as the input and output.

They were bought by AMX and they no longer exist.

I would look at Nexus Audio Systems as they are the defacto leader in distributed music systems without using cat5e. Look at their Phantom series of controllers.

Very easy to use and offers data feedback to the keypads. Although the data is limited, but useful.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondoe  /t/1471422/help-identifying-audio-distribution-system#post_23281626

So, a few questions:

1. Can anybody help me figure out what brand matrix switcher he had installed?
Most likely Matrix Audio, now defunct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondoe  /t/1471422/help-identifying-audio-distribution-system#post_23281626

2. Is it worth trying to re-use the 20 year old keypads, or would it be easier to replace the entire system?
Replace the entire system as the controller doesn't exist anymore.
Quote:

3. I don't know what wattage the speakers are. How much do I have to worry about overdriving them?
Don't worry about this. No distributed system will overdrive any speaker.
Quote:

4. Given that the wiring is already in place, is getting and hooking up the system something I could plan to do myself in a day or so? Or would it be smarter to just get installers in here to be sure I get something that works?
You will have to find a Nexus Audio Systems dealer close to you or contact Nexus directly.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
+5. Great info from ifor, I can never remember the Nexus name without doing a search, it seems...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts