AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new to the forum. I have a Sony STR-DA5300ES receiver that I bought used. Upon opening the case, I noticed a disconnected cable. I do not see any markings or labels on the board where it would reconnect, but I'm hesitant to reconnect without knowing it's purpose. I am hoping I can email someone familiar with this receiver a couple pictures showing the disconnected cable. And, the seller included (without explanation) two small boards with female plastic connectors and a single wire, one labeled Connector 1 and the other labeled Connector 2. I'll try to attach pics of all this but might need to email directly.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Did you ask the seller about all this?

Why did you open the case in the first place?

Does the receiver work/do what you want it to do? If so, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply and Qs. 1) Can't contact the seller anymore, 2) opened the case because I saw a plastic bag inside containing those extra "boards" I mentioned, and 3) I don't want to test before I know exactly what that connector is for. I'm a novice, but believe I should be concerned if it has something to do with ohms. In any case, I really want someone to respond to the specific question, look at the pics and identify that connector. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I hate to say it but, if somebody sold you a receiver with a plastic bag inside it containing a couple of loose parts and with cables hanging loose inside the chassis, you may have bought a non-functional receiver. Especially if the seller left you no way to contact him after the sale.

It looks like the cable in the second picture goes to the white 4-pin connector (with a gap between pins 3 & 4) in the center of the image. If it fits there without being forced, you should be safe hooking it up.

Are the wires on the small, loose boards connected to anything inside the chassis, or are they completely loose?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I would agree that it appears the cable connects to the 4-pin connector that's directly below it--seems obvious since there aren't any other nearby connectors. I still would like to know what this connection does, since I assume it was intentionally disconnected (seems unlikely it would just fall out on its own). As for the small loose boards, they are not connected to anything. The wire ends are not stripped--still have insulation intact--so it appears they were never attached but are extra parts. Extra parts for what? Any idea? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Sorry, I have no idea what those loose boards might be. I Googled the numbers and labels on them and didn't find anything useful.

If the ends of the wires were cut off rather than desoldered, they could also appear to have been never attached. Take a really good look around the interior and check for anything that looks like they may have been attached to and then snipped off. They appear to be ground wires, so it may not be on the circuit boards. They could have been attached somewhere else in the chassis.

I doubt anyone will be able to identify those cards or the loose connector unless they have access to the service and repair documentation for Sony receivers. You could search around and possibly find a copy of the 5300ES service manual and drawings, but you often have to pay for those.

I don't think you are liable to damage anything by powering it up with those cards not installed. I'd put the loose cable back in, too. It could have just popped off during transport or something, especially if the unit was not well packed. It happens.

You may have better luck asking for help in the thread devoted to the 5300ES. Just about everyone on AVS with one of those is probably subscribed to that thread and posting there will be more likely to get their attention. It's at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=880352

1 - 6 of 6 Posts