AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can an older Pioneer plasma tv which has a separate receiver/tuner called a media box (model PDP-R04G). It has one HDMI, with component and composite connections. It also has a connection for an antenna.

I read in another forum somebody had recommended purchasing a "European TV adapter" from Radio Shack. As you can see in the bottom right corner of the picture, I tried to "make it fit" but without luck. The adapter seemed to be the same size as the connection so I tried to use some pliers and make the adapter larger in order to fit but it doesn't.

I want to be able to connect an antenna in order to receive OTA HD channels.

Has anybody come across this before and know how to solve my problem?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Its shield will fit inside and the center pin is about like an RCA connection. Hope it has settings to accept US signals, even from a ATSC set top box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I'm hoping. I was able to get HD cable channels on it on basic cable but I've never tried OTA. I'm not sure how its going to scan for channels with -'s in them such as 38-1, 38-2, 41-3, etc. It has never display those before and there is no - on the remote.

I guess I'm going to have to drop $100 for a OTA digital receiver.

·
Registered
957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave042 /forum/post/20832249

I'm not sure how its going to scan for channels with -'s in them such as 38-1, 38-2, 41-3, etc. It has never display those before and there is no - on the remote.

You don't normally scan entering the subchannels, the receiver just finds the channel then presents what subchannels are there.

the use of a - is not universal; in particular, my Sony uses a . (dot or point, or period)

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
That "European" connection is common on Pioneer/Elite (all the way back to their projection) and on commercial displays.

It is nothing more than a "more robust" coax connection than the standard "gee the connector slipped off the end of the cable again" American version.

You can probably get those at high end A/V shops cause I think Runco uses them as well.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20837755

That "European" connection is common on Pioneer/Elite (all the way back to their projection) and on commercial displays.

It is nothing more than a "more robust" coax connection than the standard "gee the connector slipped off the end of the cable again" American version.

You can probably get those at high end A/V shops cause I think Runco uses them as well.

Huh? The European antenna connection is a friction-fit, similar to the loosey-goosey HDMI connector. The "American" F-connector screws into place. Much more secure. Now, if the connector falls off of the end of the cable, you didn't crimp it properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.