AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm about to take the plunge and buy a Samsung PN63C7000 plasma TV. Reading through the other Samsung buzz thread in this site, most posts were from owners whose unit buzzed. If your unit does NOT buzz, I would appreciate if you would report it in this thread. I know its not a scientific approach, but I'm trying to get a feel of the proportion of buzzing vs not buzzing Samsung units out there, before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond folks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
There is a buzz thread already that you could use, but I'll go ahead and say that mine doesn't. That statement isn't entirely true, because ALL plasma tv's buzz to a degree, but mine can only be heard from 1 foot away. The first one I had buzzed more, but it wasn't a distraction.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelit /forum/post/19607705

Hello everyone,

I'm about to take the plunge and buy a Samsung PN63C7000 plasma TV. Reading through the other Samsung buzz thread in this site, most posts were from owners whose unit buzzed. If your unit does NOT buzz, I would appreciate if you would report it in this thread. I know its not a scientific approach, but I'm trying to get a feel of the proportion of buzzing vs not buzzing Samsung units out there, before I take the plunge.

This won't really tell you anything. There are tons of people in the various Sasmung buzzing threads that are not having a buzzing problem. You can end up getting 95% of the people in this thread saying theirs doesn't buzz, then when yours arrives you discover that you're in the other 5% and you can hear it from 10 feet away. ALL Plasma TVs buzz to some extent, but you shouldn't be able to hear beyond from say 2-4 feet. If you can hear it at 8 feet or more, the TV is defective (this goes for all brands, not just Samsung).

It would probably be better to just buy the TV that you want from a seller that has a good return policy so if you happen to get a buzzer, you can exchange it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My PN58B650 doesnt buzz, but as Randy said, I could just be in the "good" crowd? I saw once that 30% buzzed, back when the problem was first documented, but I don't know where that number came from? Samsung says the number was nowhere near that high, but you would expect them to say that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
PN50C7000 and no buzz.

If your room doesn't echo, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it did echo, I'd still try it out. The image quality on these units are amazing.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
58" C6500. I hear no buzz at all, neither does my dad, but my wife and kids say there is a loud buzz.

So yes, my TV buzzes quite loudly and can be heard across the room, but I can't hear it at all. So I suspect some of those claiming theirs does not buzz really just can't hear this frequency well.

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule /forum/post/19712600

In retrospect, it's a good deal; buy a Samsung display and get a free hearing test to go with it!

This made me LOL

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19607995

ALL Plasma TVs buzz to some extent, but you shouldn't be able to hear beyond from say 2-4 feet. If you can hear it at 8 feet or more, the TV is defective (this goes for all brands, not just Samsung).

Heh. Then I guess all 14 plasmas I have had have been defective except one: Hitachi, Samsungs (2008/2009/2010), Pioneer Kuro, Panny V10---because they all buzzed and it could be heard from greater than 8 feet--under certain conditions.

My Panny 50G25 was really pretty quiet, and I had to get pretty close to it and listen closely to notice a faint buzz.

So 14/15 defective plasmas for me, then!

P.S. Many of the people who report that they do not hear any buzz on their Samsung plasma just may have poor hearing or be sitting in a sweet spot where the buzz is not noticeable. The Samsungs tend to buzz very loud if you sit directly front and center, and have your ears midway up the screen. If you mount your TV real high, or sit off to the side and a ways back, then you might not get hit with the taser beam of buzz. Also, a number of Samsungs I have had in the bedroom buzz off to the side too, but I was only about 6-7 feet away from them at my puter desk. Perhaps if I was closer to 10-12 feet away and at an angle, I would have been out of the buzzing field.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS /forum/post/19784486

From a electronics point of view I would suggest that the buzzing probably has more to do with dirty power (AC) than a problem with the power supply in the TVs.

Why do you think that? I had the back off my C6500 today to try to locate the source of the buzz. I can not hear a thing, but my son says the toroidal coil on the top right board (from back) is screaming. Also the yellow transformer on the lower left board. But even the heat sinks seem to be loud, and they can't be oscillating, so it must be the whole darn set is resonating somehow in a way that amplifies the buzz.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Keep in mind that people who say theirs doesnt buzz may not have put their head in the "buzz zone" as the TVs have a narrow buzz that shoots out from a specific point in what seems like a straight line. The buzz is also not constant, so they may have searched for it but it might not have been buzzing at the time. To discover the buzz you really have to be viewing the TV at a regular rate in the right spot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts