AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a newbie both to this forum as well as CRT projectors. Until a week ago, they were just another piece of high priced home theater equipment I could never afford. That changed when I came across a Marquee 9500 for $2500. Since then, I've been reading like crazy in this forum (as well as the rest of the web), and as so many other people have already pointed out, it's been *extremely* helpful. Thanks already.

Where my confusion comes in is that I thought that the Marquee would sync up to different aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9) and display them correctly, but the guy at the company that's selling it says that's not the case. He said that I would need a different card installed to do wide-screen. He also states that tubes will last about 29,000 hours. I don't think he's entirely misinformed, because his company has dealt with hundreds of Electrohome CRTs, but what he said didn't make sense when compared to what I've read in this forum.

The unit I'm looking at has the standard inputs (RGBHV), no additional cards, the latest bios, and I'm not sure about tube life yet.

My question is this: What do I need to go from a DVD player or cable box to the Marquee? Do line doublers serve that purpose? I'm also considering an HTPC, and I'm curious if they also take the place of a line doubler. (I have an extra VGA to RBGHV cable, so I'm familiar with that type of input.) Also, when an HD signal finally comes to my area, is the Marquee ready, or will I need something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
From what I've seen 9500's selling for I'd jump on this yesterday, even if the tubes are wasted.

As long as the unit produces a picture, those tubes can be replaced as needed. Even if you had to replace them all, at $2,500, that's still a very good deal for a 9' CRT...as long as everything works.

The tube life should be no more or less than any other well taken care of pj...8 to 10,000 hrs.

It will not automatically change it's aspect ratio, but your HTPC will, so that's not a worry.

I could be mistaken here, but I believe the Marquees cannot be setup for a 16X9 screen as they are, and must be modified if you plan to use 16X9...still who cares, you could be getting a great deal!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
A 9500 for $2500?? You are one lucky dude!!

With that thing, you'll need more than a line doubler. You could go with any scaler; Faroudja etc., or use an HTPC. The HTPC would perform the function of the scaler. (I call it a scaler because you'll be doing more than doubling. You'll probably want to quadruple if I'm not mistaken about the 9500). I'm not sure how the HTPC handles non-DVD material though. Somebody here who has an HTPC will no doubt respond and help out. I don't have one (yet) so don't know.

Also, your 9500 is more than ready for an HDTV source. You got the cream of the crop. Enjoy!

As for aspect ratios, I'm pretty sure that the Marquees work just like Electrohome's ECP series which is what I have. I beleive that there is a modification that needs to be done though. I don't think it's very difficult. Anyway, for anamorphic 16:9 material you just have to use the vertical size adjustment to "squeeze" the image to make it more narow. Once you get it set up you can save it off into a memory on the 9500 so you'll never have to mess with it again. I beleive the required mod allows you to squeeze the required anount where the factory components don't allow you to go that far.

Someone more knowledgable than me needs to chime in (and they will).

Cary

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hi Geek,

That is a very nice PJ you've come across. It'll scan to 130khz or 150khz if it's an Ultra model - both specs are WAY higher than you're are ever likely to push it. It is fully HDTV ready in terms of performance capablily, but will need a vertical deflection board modification to have enough range for the narrower 16:9 requirements of HDTV and anamorphic sources. This involves 3 resistors on the vertical deflection board, which is best left to a tech if your soldering skills are not very good. It is a relatively easy board to remove, and you could ship it to me for modification, or also Tim Martin here on the forum. As for how to get a signal to it, you'll definitely need some type of doubler or scaler to upconvert the lowly NTSC signal coming out of your DVD player. You could shop around for a low cost, used DVDO doubler to get going, but definitely save for either a high quality scaler (like a faroudja NR around 720P or higher) or a kick-butt HTPC (depending on your desire for PC hassles).

As for the PJ's other attributes/curses, the CRT's will not last 29,000 Hrs with anny kind of an acceptable picture - Kenny set that record straight for you already. You can certainly learn to set this PJ up yourself, but be prepared to spend MONTHS with it and the learning curve to really make it sing. Paying the money for a Quality tech will save you mucho aggravation and you'll be up and running quickly. The CRT's can be rebuilt be VDC for fairly cheap money now, and as far as various aspect ratios and scan rates, this PJ has WAY more memories for different setups than you'll ever be able to use. So, don't let that worry you. Enjoy your new toy - it's as good as they get (in good condition, of course).

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Buy it at this price. You can get the tubes rebuilt and installed for about $3K. Other repairs and refurbishment, say $600 if needed. You will then have a $35K when new projector and one of the one or two very best projectors out their. A good used 9500LC with new tubes sells for about $15K or higher. You will want to add a good scaler. You normally feed this machine with a 5 wire RGBHV cable. A special board is available for feeding it with a three wire component cable but you would be better off investing in a scaler than this board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The seller should know today or tomorrow if it works. It's currently sitting in their warehouse after being traded in by a company that switched to DLP. There's no reason to think it won't work, but they want to check it out and make sure it can produce a good picture. If so, it's mine. :D

I realize that it's probably a good deal even if it doesn't work, but since I've decided to go the HTPC route, I won't be able to afford any fixes for a while, so it's important to me that I know what I'm getting and that I can use it for at least a year or two without doing anything major. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

That is a good price for a 9500LC providing it lights up. It can do 16:9 with a simple mod, replacing three resistors on the vertical sweep board; it will also store up to eighty set-up memories for different aspect ratios. Both the Faroudja NR (768p) as well as the NR Plus (1080p) looked good on the 9" Marquee during tests here. What the Marquees cannot do is input component signals directly, a transcoder is needed to give RGB.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I had no idea a projector of that caliber could be gotten for so little. I have been looking into a digital projector and, until today, did not even consider CRT b/c of the cost. As a former employee of a high end audio video store, I am pretty familiar with the Vision ONe, which I now understand is a rebadged 9500lc. What, other than the case, is the major differences? Is the 9500lc with the "16:9 modification" as good or better than any other CRT on the market? Does this mod adversely affect it in any way? I have seen it fully reconditioned for about $16,000, as I talked with a salesman today about it. Now I understand that I might be able to find it in the 5K-8K range used but in very good condition..... Sorry about the many statements, but I have been reading all day and trying to absorb as much as possible... Thanks.

John

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
"I have seen it fully reconditioned for about $16,000, as I talked with a salesman today about it. Now I understand that I might be able to find it in the 5K-8K range used but in very good condition"

John,

the best way to purchase this projector is "reconditioned", it would come with new tubes and many other mods and upgrades already performed. The upgrade would include a thorough going over by a qualified technician, it would also include the latest firmware (chips) and manufacturers recommended changes. One that has had a proper going over would perform to manufacturers specs as well as perform for many many years with excellent service. It is THE CRT projector to own.

A properly reconditioned Marquee would perform like new, depending on who does the reconditioning. If you want a reconditioned Marquee contact: Tim Martin, or Hometheater1 may still have them. I would contact Tim first, he is very well known for his experience with that projector, plus he not only performs the recommended upgrades, but he also does a lot of other non mentioned mods to the projector that will improve on its life and performance, to include the famous FAN MOD, that makes the projector almost purr like a kitten (quiet).

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

The anamorphic mod, which enables shorter raster heights needed for HDTV or anamorphic DVD viewing is a simple replacement of three resisitors on the vertical sweep module that set the gain for some op-amps, thus affecting the range of the user adjustment. We do this mod to every projector we sell.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm using a Marquee 8500LC retubed by Tim Martin with 9" tubes to make it essentially a 9500LC. This is a fantastic projector and is the same chassis as the Vidikron Vision one and Madrigal Imaging OM9.

If you are not of the HTPC persuasion and want to be able to scale Sat TV, home movies (shudder), etc., you should check out the TAW Rock+ universal scaler. It runs 1080P beautifully, and is a much more economical and flexible solution than Faroudja, DWIN, etc. If you use a line doubler with the 9500, the projector's resolution is so high you will EASILY see scan lines still. This baby can resolve!! Scan lines are even visible when I run my computer through the projector at 1024x768 if I look up close to the screen. They START to disappear at 960 and 1080 vertical res.

check out www.tawinc.net (note I am in no way affiliated here!!)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is the 16X9 mod referenced in this thread also needed for the Marquee 8110? If it is, How can I tell if it was done to my (waiting to be installed) 8110 and will any of you do it for me and how much does it cost? Whew - a lot of questions. Thanks

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

Open the rear heat sink on your 8110, it is hinged and can be opened by removing the top gray covers, then removing four screws along the top and four along the edge of the rear white cover. The vertical board is the board on the heat sink with three green/yellow wire pairs plugged in, those are the vertical sweep yoke wires. Look at R704, R804 and R904, replace them with 1/4w 56kohm 5% resistors if not 56k already, them match raster height in the service menu (UTIL, 9, 0901, 3) This allows more range to the V SIZE adjustment so you can set correct geometry for anamorphic or HDTV sources.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Concerning the "Best way to buy one of these is to buy it Refurbished" statement.

The best way to buy _this_ one for $2500 is to buy it NOW (If you didn't already) and ship it to Tim to be re-furbished, if it actually needs it. That way you get it done right the first time!

- GLupien

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.