AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few systems over the years and realized that I was collecting equipment and not enjoying music. I sold everything and went to an iPod dock. Listing to Pandora and Spotify has really made me fall back in love with music and now I want a system to enjoy.

I have decided to purchase a Peachtree Audio piece. I'm not sure if I will go Nova or iNova, but I'm certain Peachtree is the way I am going to go. My dilemma is and always has been speakers. I will admit that I love 2 way mini-monitors that punch way above their weight class. I have owned ACI Sapphire XL, Ascend Sierra, and Swan D2.1se. The Sapphire XL were my favorites and I regret ever selling as they are no longer made. I have also been very interested in Martin Logan and have heard good things about the new Electromotion ESL. My question is what are the advantages and/or drawbacks to going the ML route. Also, of the monitors I'm looking at is there one in this bunch that kicks the other's ass?

I listen to stuff like Zero7, Sade, Rahsaan Patterson, James Blake, Jamie Woon, Bluetech, Lemongrass and guilty pleasure stuff like Kylie Minogue.

Before it is said, I know auditioning is the best way to decide, but I am not big on ordering and retiring and reordering. Just looking for some advice from some fellow audio lovers.

Fritz Carbon 7

Fritz Rev 5

Peachtree D5

Ascend Sierra and/or Sierra NrT

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, I appreciate the mentions of other speakers but I am not looking for suggestions on other models unless it is a 2 way mini-monitor that is comparable to those I listed. What I am asking is;

1. Of the monitors I have listed, which is your favorite? Is one leaps and bounds better than the other.

2. If I decided to go the Martin Logan route instead of a stand mount monitor, what are the adnavtages/disadvantages or electrostatics.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Dynaudio Excite X16

Dynaudio Excite X12

Dali Ikon 2

My dealer sells peachtree IAs, but won't touch their speakers, Ive never heard of Fritz, and according to this site Ascend makes great speakers. Having never heard any of them and going off of reputation, the Ascends, IMO.

However, since you don't want send them back because you are disappointed and have to order and reorder, GO AUDITION!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
You mentioned advantages to ML's over stand mounted two ways. Since you're subless in this ( and i'm not sure as to why) The advantage to the ML's goes to the low frequency spectrum as asking a small midwoofer to play to 30hz with any kind of authority is forcing the driver to the limits of it's linear excursion and the introduction of audible harmonic distortion. This doesn't mean that the ML is a better speaker than all stand mounted 2ways. Now although the room size and budget are known, how's placement options? Can you give the system plenty of room to breathe?.......If so then Estats and Planars might be just the thing your looking for. The new 1.7's from Magnepan are outstanding in every way imaginable and routinely sell for $1600 or so on Audiogon and the like. With their ability to play low, the quality of dipole bass and it's inability to excite room modes is really something to behold. If you can find a local owner and arrange a listen, i'd highly suggest it before you purchase anything.

If a stand mounted 2way really appeals to you, consider a sub. The advanatages are too numerous to mention so you'll have to do some homework but i'm confident that accurate research will change your position on the subject.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13
You mentioned advantages to ML's over stand mounted two ways. Since you're subless in this ( and i'm not sure as to why) The advantage to the ML's goes to the low frequency spectrum as asking a small midwoofer to play to 30hz with any kind of authority is forcing the driver to the limits of it's linear excursion and the introduction of audible harmonic distortion. This doesn't mean that the ML is a better speaker than all stand mounted 2ways. Now although the room size and budget are known, how's placement options? Can you give the system plenty of room to breathe?.......If so then Estats and Planars might be just the thing your looking for. The new 1.7's from Magnepan are outstanding in every way imaginable and routinely sell for $1600 or so on Audiogon and the like. With their ability to play low, the quality of dipole bass and it's inability to excite room modes is really something to behold. If you can find a local owner and arrange a listen, i'd highly suggest it before you purchase anything.

If a stand mounted 2way really appeals to you, consider a sub. The advanatages are too numerous to mention so you'll have to do some homework but i'm confident that accurate research will change your position on the subject.
I want a simple system. A less is more approach and that is why I don't want a sub. It's just one more part to the puzzle that I am not willing to deal with. Not to mention that I am a Condo/Town Home dweller, getting down to below 40Hz is not as important and could be a problem with neighbors. The XL's and the Sierra's all played deep enough for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.